Dec 13, 2005

The Blessing of Friends

There are five of us – we are best friends. We are who we are because of each other. Four of us have known each other since we were 5 years old, which now is 31 years of friendship! Katherine, the introspect, Karen, the romantic analyzer, Janet, common sense with a tender heart, Heather, the adult wit and me - Joy, the realist. Women who are laugh-out-loud comical, tell-it-like-it-is honest, call-me-day-or-night supportive and snap-out-of-it realistic. We know everything about each other – every bodily dysfunction, grotesque gush and protrusion of pregnancy. We know every heartache, every wound, every joy. When one of us is down the others swoop in and help care, nurture and patiently restore. We are women, we are friends, we are family, we are sisters. We are unique and we compliment each other. We are individuals and we are one. We function seperately and we are an entity. When we bitch, there's an ear. When we cry there's a shoulder. When we laugh there's an echo. While not related we share the blood of being women, the sweat of making our way, and the tears of being mothers and daughters...all that, together with the odd bottle of wine and I give you my sisters, my friends.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Well said Aunty Joy...and more so you are soo deserving. To have such blessings is to give of yourself and that you do....We all love you, thats easy! YHB

berryhead said...

I love what you've written here ms joy! It is just the best when you know you have good friends* Thanks for writting what I feel so well!

jamie said...

5 women together is just dangerous. There should be a law.....

JanBan said...

What can I say? Am truly honoured to be one of the five-- or should I say the 'Fab Five'? No-- too confusing. People might think we are actually Duran Duran (am I dating myself??), or alternately, those gay guys who go around fixing up all those poor, clueless straight guys...

So when's the next nite out, guls??

J.

Joy said...

I'm ready for dinner out - NOW!