May 19, 2006

The End of Will and Grace

Dear "Will and Grace" Writers,

You didn't just write a season finale that broke my heart. Did you??? For the love of Pete and all things good I cannot understand why you the writers - think we, the fans of Will and Grace would believe that 1) they wouldn't speak for 2 years and 2) after they do, they go their separate ways for 20 years?!! How ludricrous! And not to mention Jack and Karen - are we supposed to believe that they are the only ones who carried on their friendship all of this time? Their duet was lovely but left me with a Bette Middler/Johny Carson kind of feeling. I am so saddened by this finale. It just wasn't true Will and Grace style. Will would have never NOT seen Grace's baby. They would have had their kids together at Gymboree! It would not have taken Jack and Karen 2 years to devise a scheme to get them back together. Anytime a sitcom fast-forwards years into the future you know it's going to be a train wreck. We have followed these characters week after week, we feel we know them - we love them! To fast-foward 2 years, 5 mins into the show is unfair. And then a whole 20 years?! I was waiting for this dream sequence to end, but it didn't. The future of Will and Grace should have been left in our minds - in our imagination. I did not want to see Grace with wrinkles and Will with sad eyes. And Jack looking like he gave up hope years ago. Karen is the only one who remained untouched. I loved "Will and Grace". I loved the show, the writing, the characters and the actors who portrayed them so beautifully. I will miss this show and have already done a re-write in my head.

5 comments:

Marty said...

Amen sister! I agree with you 100%. It was a nightmare, what they did to our Will and Grace! Even Karen and Jack were unrealistic! Thank God for the first 6 seasons. After that it went downhill a bit. But nothing was as bad as this finale. Truly wretched. Like you I am rewriting it in my head, pretending I never saw that crap last night.

Anonymous said...

Ok, let's get this straight..we are talking about characters on television right? Hmmmmm...

Joy said...

The comment above is from my smart-ass sister Melody.

Sharon said...

You couldn't have said it any better Joy. I hated, hated, hated it!! Finales just never seem to do the shows justice...I have already imagined it differently and I like my version MUCH better!!

JanBan said...

Oooooh-- is that what happened in the first five minutes? 'Cuz I tuned in about ten minutes late & spent the rest of the time pretty much LOST! (I couldn't tell they had jumped two years ahead... duh!)

"Whaaaat??" was definielty the word of choice for the evening. Uhm, yeah-- HATED IT! Truthfully, I have to confess I hadn't watched much in the last few seasons, but holy cow-- did they have to take those characters so *completely* out of character? The one thought my numb little brain was able to come up with when the show was over: Man-- that sucked every bit as much as the Seinfeld finale.

And I'm sure we all remember how much that sucked, don't we?

Jan