Jul 21, 2006

We Are The Champions...Not!

Volleyball. (or “volleyvall” as Jay Leno called it in Tuesday night's monologue) So far this summer our team, which consists of my brother and his fiancée, me and my 2 friends and two other people, has won twice.

By default.

Yes, we won because the other teams did not show up. We are now like the "Bad News Bears" of this volleyball season. I am a very competitive person by nature and losing is not really my thing. Well, apparently it is now – we have gotten so good at losing that it is now seemingly second nature. We are the type of team that hasn’t had much practice so when the ball comes our way we are desperate to GET IT OVER THE NET. The other teams are busy volleying, setting and spiking – us, we’re trying to just GET IT OVER THE NET. Preferably in one hit. We just don’t want to take any chances. It's like a hot potato to us.

Last night we came close to winning with scores of 15-13 and 15-11. We always seem to drop the ball (no pun intended) in that last section of the game. Perhaps we are focussing too much on the cold beer that awaits us afterwards, who knows?



After the game we talk about where we went wrong and what we can do better. "...Next week I will DIVE for the ball, I will do whatever it takes to keep that ball in play, I will break my arm lunging for that ball." In my head, I am the best volleyball player in the world. I am Gabrielle Reece. I am one with the ball. Graceful. Powerful. Impenetrable. In reality, I am bumbling, spastic, and always landing on my butt.


But I try. And man, is it fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»