Aug 31, 2006

$150 Later - It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

So the kids and I went on our annual late August pilgrimage to Staples, centre of the universe for school supplies. I was armed with TWO lists from school, one boldly stating at the bottom that "Getting all of the items on this list will be your child's first assignment" Oh really? Is he going to be marked on this shopping excursion? If heaven forbids he gets the wrong pens, will he be punished?


This list had everything on it - pens, markers, pencils, lined paper, grid paper, highlighters, erasers, duotangs, rulers, a box of KLEENEX...the list goes on and on but I won't bore you with it. Safe to say the school board must be in cahoots with Staples. The one item on this list that really bugged me are tennis balls.
For the bottom of the kids' chairs. They are actually packaged for said purpose. I ask you - do I NEED to purchase tennis balls so their chairs won't make that awful schreeching sound when moved? And furthermore, what happened to the tennis balls I bought LAST YEAR? Have they spontaneously combusted? Disintegrated? Where are they???

So, it's over. After spending what seemed like an eternity in that store, aimlessly walking around with two lists and a cart ram-jam full of necessities, the kids are now prepared to learn. They are jazzed and excited to start school. And when I say 'jazzed' and 'excited' I really mean they can't wait to see their old friends.

4 comments:

mom of 2 said...

That sounds dreadful!! and what in the world are duotangs?? I've never heard of whatever it is...sounds expensive though!

FarmgirlCyn said...

I used to love my first day back at school! Seeing friends we hadn't seen since June, meeting new kids. It was great! (and I went to a Catholic elementary!!)

Chunks said...

Well, we are fortunate here to have teachers who haven't updated supply lists since WW2, so we are sadly buying things that never get used. I have alot of school supplies left over from last year, so I really only had to buy two binders and some pens. Tennis balls though? That seems a bit much.

I can't wait. I'm so excited. It really is "The most. Wonderful time. Of the yeaaaaarrrrr!"

Joy said...

duotang = three hole soft folder/binder :)