Aug 2, 2006

You Have GOT To Be Kidding...



Oh no. No, no, no, no, no NOOOOOOO! I was hoping this wasn't going to catch on but it looks like SKINNY jeans are coming back in style. Say it ain't so. There's only so much a woman can take. Although it took me a while, I embraced the low-rise ... the boot cut with flare felt a bit 1970's to me but I also endured that. But skinny jeans? Are you serious? Who looks good in these jeans? Oh, I guess the emaciated models that are modelling them in EVERY MAGAZINE that's out there. But that's it! I remember when I was 15 years old and "skinny" jeans were in - they weren't actually called skinny jeans but now everything has to have a name in the fashion world. I would go over to my friend Jennifer's house and she would dry her jeans in the dryer until damp, whip them against the floor to get out any wrinkles, step on the bottom cuffs and pull up to s-t-r-e-t-c-h them, then lay flat on her back on her bed, toes pointed like a ballerina while she wriggled into them. This was when we were 15 and had no life. I have a life now and it does not include skinny jeans. My best friend Janet says I will succumb to this trend and that it's just a matter of time. But I conquer with an emphatic "NEVAH".

And I mean it!

8 comments:

mom of 2 said...

Me either!!!! Those jeans were awful back when I wore them the first time. I've also heard that if you wore a fashion trend the first time around that you are too old to wear it again. That is my excuse...this time I'll agree that I'm too old (and too hippy) for skinny jeans.

We were out school shopping the other day and one store we went to had a whole section of the girls clothes that were plus sizes. How sad is that!! There are so many plus size girls they need a whole section?? Those poor little girls aren't going to look good in skinny jeans...how awful for them!!

Beth said...

I have seen the ads for the "skinny jeans" too. Don't know who would want to wear them except like the name says "skinny" people. Maybe the fade won't last too long.

Chunks said...

Well, it took me awhile to get used to the low-rise jeans, but skinny jeans? OMG! We wore them in the 80s and I don't know how we managed because there was no spandex in them until 87 or so! They are the least flattering pants in the world. I am going to run out and buy up every pair of low-rise boot cuts that I can find, because this is going to seem like the longest fad ever!

Torino said...

hey, i don't exactly REMEMBER the pants if you no what i mean, but i do agree that it would be quite a hassle just to get them on...let alone walk in them!

L8ER!

mom of 2 said...

OH, those jeans are HIDEOUS!!!!! That makes me want to run away screaming!!!

Jenny said...

Well there's no way I'm getting my big ol' fat butt in a pair of those...(sigh!), gotta keep working out I guess!!!!

Janna said...

ohmygosh this post was hilarious and horrifying all at the same time! i will buy a pair of 'skinny' jeans the same time a buy some legwarmers and stirrup pants!!

ack!!

janna

JanBan said...

You know, my dearest Joy, I only say that you eventually will succumb to the skinny jean (I believe we used to call them 'stovepipes' back then? And remember our Roadrunners??) for two reasons: 1)that deep down you are a fashionista (no matter how much you try to deny it!) and 2)-- you are one of the few females on the face of the earth who could actually get away with this look.

Damn you.

Hugs,
Jan