Oct 31, 2006
Oct 29, 2006
Never say maybe to a kid. Maybe=yes in their eyes.
Always go for the epidural.
If the milk looks bad, it probably is.
When squeegee-ing, keep your squeegee at a 40 degree angle. (or was it 30?)
When company comes over, closets and drawers hide a multitude of sins.
Listen your intuition - it knows more than you do.
Never say maybe to your husband. Maybe=yes in their eyes.
Laundry is like that mean teacher in highschool, it will never cut you some slack.
Never say "Let's try something different" to your hairdresser.
Nurture your friendships - good friends are the ones who will keep you sane.
Raw oysters will NEVER taste good. No matter what.
Whenever you think drinking tequila is a good thing, it's not. It never is.
There's nothing wrong with cookies for breakfast.
Never be afraid to try something new. (except raw oysters)
Never play with matches.
Don't sweat the small stuff. In one hundred years we'll all be dead and no-one will care if your souffle fell.
Never piss off your waiter or waitress. Never!
If it looks too good to be true - it is.
Appreciate the small things, it lowers your expectations.
Don't worry. Be happy.
Oct 27, 2006
You would think with this array of condiments I might be inspired to cook something yummy tonight. Nah. I'm thinkin' pizza...
Oct 26, 2006
1) My alarm clock
2) Cold wind
3) A phone ringing when there's no cordless to be found
4) An empty tank of gas on a freezing cold, windy day
5) Ellie yelling "O.K.YUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" to Jack
6) Madonna's "accent"
7) That Canadian red-headed chick who seems to be in EVERY commerical
8) My computer that constantly freezes up
9) Tripping over Wilbur's bones at night
10) Negative People :)
Ten Things That Float My Boat:
1) The sun shining
2) Blissfully sleeping children, all snug in their beds
3) A Tim's coffee first thing in the morning
4) A close parking space on a cold day
5) Secretly going back to bed when the kids leave for school
6) When hubby comes home safe on a Friday night
7) Dinner out
8) Checking out my favourite blogs
9) Re-arranging my furniture
10) Playing volleyball
Oct 25, 2006
Oct 24, 2006
- We are having November weather in October. Cold, rainy and no sunshine. (hence the name of today's post) What ever happened to Indian Summer?
- I just made a big batch of chocolate chip cookies and they are about as flat as my breasts would look in a mammogram machine. (or, just laying down) Every single time I attempt to make chocolate cookies they turn out this way. Very frustrating. Still good with a tall glass of cold milk though.
- Jack has just popped yet another bag of popcorn in the microwave so now the house stinks. There is something about microwave popcorn that is just not right.
- Every single lovin' time I get on the phone my kids interrupt me. When I tell them to stop talking they then try to sign language what they want, as if that is less obtrusive to a conversation.
- Jack is staring at me as I write this and just let out a BIG sigh. He's bored as he is banned from his Gameboy - more punishment to me than to him I say.
- Wilbur is bored too. He is much like a petulant child running from me when I go to punish him. He wouldn't let me grab him by the collar to put him in the bathroom for a time-out. Instead he scooted by me and put himself in there. Won't listen to "Come!" but will willingly take the punishment. I swear there's a little person in there underneath all that fur.
- I had this house spotless on Friday for my the dinner party we held. Saturday morning when I woke up it looked like a freight train had run though it. How can a house get that dirty in a day??
I think that's enough bitchin' and complaining for one day. I feel better already!
Oct 22, 2006
Oct 19, 2006
"Women are complicated. You need a book this big to understand them. (he stretches his arms as though he showing the size of the biggest fish ever caught)
Ellie knowingly agrees and replies:
"Yeah. You need a book this big to understand boys." (she mimics him excitedly)
Mom adds sarcastically:
"No you don't." (Mom knows the male species)
Jack adds intuitively with a chuckle -
"Yeah, you don't."
It's nice to know he understands.
Oct 18, 2006
It is the most dreary day here. Cold, overcast and miserable. A friend just called from Carmel, California and told me it is so hot outside she had to sit in the shade. California dreamin' indeed...
Oct 17, 2006
I should mention that it has been almost one year that I have been blogging. Blogging to save my sanity. I can't keep a diary but somehow I can blog. Doesn't make sense. Ah, if there were only a way to blog and get paid. Unfortunately I am not dooce. Queen of all blogs. Able to take the written word and transform it into something witty, interesting, sarcastic and always funny. Able to parlay her blog into an insanely addictive daily ritual for mere mortals. The coolest chick in cyberspace.
But enough about her. Let's talk about me.
My father's 75th birthday is Friday and I am hosting everyone for dinner so, yes, it's time to clean house. Oh but wait, it's too early for any real pressure so I probably won't start cleaning until late Friday afternoon. I have to get organized here! I need to simplify and get a cleaning schedule down. There is an organized person in me somewhere - I think I can hear her screaming...
Oct 14, 2006
I used to love the Fall but now I hate it. Sure the leaves are pretty but now they are quickly falling to the ground leaving a rather barren landscape. So depressing. I think I'd rather look at snow. Thankfully Juergen and I have this cruise to look forward to in late November. We are going with 5 other couples and are really looking forward to it. This group is a scream. I would love to make up t-shirts for us all - does anyone know where you can get custom made t-shirts done cheaply? (is that a word?)
Today I have a very exciting day planned. Hubby is working all weekend so I am going to clean the kids' rooms from stem to stern. WOW! I just can't wait! Yeah, right. Somehow it seems easier to do on a Saturday. Weekdays I love to do my errands and make sure they last long enough to conveniently forget that the house is ashambles. I'm good like that.
P.S. Thanks Tim :)
Oct 12, 2006
So I went for an x-ray at the hospial yesterday. This inquistive older man in line asked me why I was there - what was I having done and why - and was I pregnant? So everyone in the place knew exactly what was going on with 'lil 'ol me because I am too polite to say "None of your business!". My hip has been bothering me for close to a year now with flare-ups and the doctor thinks I may have osteoarthritis. Lucky me - it runs in the family.
The forecast here is rain, sprinkled with rain, on top of more rain. Wilbur is out-of-his-mind bored so I thought I would take home for a quick walk this morning. Of course it started to POUR and we had to run home. Now he is still bored and totally wet. NOT a good combination. I think it's going to be a long Fall....
Oct 4, 2006
Oct 3, 2006
Oct 2, 2006
Ellie is the flower girl in my brother's upcoming wedding this Saturday. I have been desperately trying to find her shoes to match her dress to no avail. And I have looked everywhere. One bridal store wanted me to rent disgusting, worn shoes for $15.00. I think I would have preferred her barefoot. Anyway, today my sister and I ventured State side and we found the perfect pair of glass slippers for her. They didn't have her size so I went one up and crossed my fingers that they would fit. When Ellie came home from school she was so excited to try them on - and magically, just like Cinderella, the glass slipper fit perfectly. I am thrilled. That brings her flower girl dress/tiara/shoes/cape total to $300.00. Owch. I guess no new dress for Mommy then!
I just found out that October is "National Sarcasm Month." (Melody and Jamie will be thrilled to hear this) Well, Happy Sarcasm Month to ya! ;)