Jan 30, 2007

Goin' to the Chapel?

My oldest brother and his fiance are getting married in Punta Cana this March. Approximately 20 family and friends are joining them for this special occasion, which now looks that it may not happen!

You see, the hotel has just informed my brother that the wedding he planned almost one year ago - is not actually planned at all. Their wedding has seemed to have slipped through the cracks. The big mess up? There is only ONE JUDGE in all of Punta Cana and she is booked solid, performing 2-3 weddings per day until June. Why my brother's is not one of them, I don't know. Something sure got mixed up somewhere which is so un-typical for a Carribean island, non? ;) Although a big deal to everyone here, not so much a big deal for people whose favourite phrase is "No worries!"

The ever-so-diligent hotel wedding rep suggested to Mike that he get married here in Canada and then "just have a fake wedding here." (apparently this is no Hilton we're going to!) What to do, what to do. I suggested that I get ordained on-line to be able to perform the ceremony. Hey, desperate times call for desperate measures! So it's official, I am now Reverend Joy of the Universal Life Church, legal in all of the U.S. of A and some Canadian provinces. (just not sure which yet)

When I tell people that I may end up marrying my brother, I gotta tell ya, I do get some strange looks....


3 comments:

Chunks said...

Are you serious?! Can I get you to do an exorcism for me? hehee just joshing.

That is too bad about your Brothers' wedding. What the heck are they going to do?! Unless you were serious about the Reverend-ness, then I guess problem solved!

FarmgirlCyn said...

Hey, if you were livin' in Arkansas, you very well COULD marry your own brother. Ever hear the country song..."I am my own grandpaw!"?

Stargazer said...

A really good friend married my other friends this past summer. It was a lovely ceremony and it's now kind of fun and its a bit different. Also it lets you participate in the wedding in a more personal way. You can say nice personal things about them during the ceremony which may make it more meaningful. Congrats on becoming ordained ;)