Jan 17, 2007

Spoiled Rotten Kids

O.K. Now I have heard it all:

Special "candy-free" lanes at the grocery store.

This bothers me on many levels. First off, the fact that we as a society are too damn lazy to teach our children that 'no' means 'no'. Instead we pressure supermarkets to make special check-out lanes with NO TEMPTATIONS. Problem solved! Mommy or Daddy doesn't have to parent or worry that their child will throw a fit. Hello people! Children will only do what they can get away with. I am sick and tired of hearing about these parents who feel they need to give in because they just can't stand to see their child sad - or fear their child will create a huge scene over the issue. The easy thing to do is to give in - and then pay for it the rest of your life when you find yourself never being able to say 'no' to your child. Well, don't come crying to me when at her "Super Sweet Sixteen" party, your daughter has a melt down that her Porsche's rims are not diamond-encrusted like she wanted! The proper thing to do is teach your child that just because it is there doesn't mean they can have it. That's life baby! It ain't all a bed of roses. I just want to yell at these people, "It's called a backbone - GET ONE!"

This society we live in really caters to kids I tell ya. We were having that discussion after volleyball last week. My sister-in-law is a teacher and she wishes they would bring back the strap. Not to actually use it, but to have it there as a gentle reminder. I don't know if I'm for that, but I see her point. I feel a lack of parenting is where this behaviour stems from. These kids continually act up, talk back and swear to teachers, don't care if their parents get called and threaten to call Child Services if even a finger is laid on them. They obviously weren't taught respect. Back in our day, it was a huge thing to get in trouble, let alone get called down to the Principal's office - today it is an every day occurrence.


Parenting is hard. The hardest job you'll ever love! Believe me, there are days where I think saying 'yes' would save me time and heartache. But I truly believe that sticking with your guns and continually teaching your child right from wrong will benefit you in the long run. My children have never thrown tantrums in a store, they may quietly pout but that's about it. They know that acting that way will never get them what they want. Never.

4 comments:

Chunks said...

I LOVED THIS POST!! 100% accurate!

When my kids were small, I would say to them, "Don't ask for anything and you won't be dissappointed" They quickly learned that they weren't entitled to everything they saw.

People have no common sense anymore. It's really sad.

mom of 2 said...

AMEN sista!! Our kids get allowance weekly and only if they do their chores without being reminded, which for the most part they do. When they want something they save up for it and they know that unless it is some special occasion that I'm not going to buy it for them. I'm appalled at the way I see kids act in stores...it's really disgusting and parents should totally be ashamed of themselves!! And not only will the parents pay for it as their kids get older, but their kids will continue to pay for it their entire lives!!

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!!Thank you for putting into words what many of us feel but are afraid to say because of these "over protective" parents!
They may overhear us talking about their children and take us to court and litigate!!! The world is becoming a "Crazy" place!

SoCalMuchacha said...

As a future teacher, I wish MORE parents/guardians felt the same way you do, kiddo. Too many parents don't feel the need to teach their children proper behavior/right from wrong, and instead leave it up to schools. Trust me, my future students WILL get a heaping, helping of right from wrong, respecting our world (humans, animals, environment), having open minds, but darn if it wouldn't all be a lot easier if more folks tended to such things with their kids at home...sigh.