Apr 9, 2007

April SNOW Showers Do Not Bring May Flowers!

Well, I've hibernated all weekend long due to the fact that it SNOWED ALL WEEKEND LONG! I cannot believe this weather we're having, it really gives Al Gore a run for his "Inconvenient Truth" theory. The little birds are confused and freezing and the geese are wondering why they left Florida so early! Speaking of birds, this is my fav picture from 2 years ago. This little fella was trying to learn how to fly when I spotted him upstairs on Jack's window sill. I guess I startled him because he fell and when I ran downstairs to look out the window in our front room - there he was, I think the window box might have saved him. Right after I took this picture he flew away, using his brand new wings for the first time. Unsure and shaky but airborne nevertheless. It was quite the sight.




I am waiting anxiously awaiting the opening of Meadow Greens Nursery. This place makes the most fabulous hanging baskets - they are huge and must weigh 20 pounds! This is the one I got last year:


It grew and grew and grew! Last year when we went in early May there were hundreds of these baskets hanging in the greenhouse. To our dismay 90% of them had been pre-sold so we didn't have much to choose from. This year we know better. Apparently people line up in late April to "hold" the baskets they want and then the nursery keeps them until they are ready to brave the outdoor temps. Hubby thinks it's a great idea because this is now known as my Mother's Day present. It's a no-brainer!


My children seem to think that chocolate is a good breakfast choice this morning so I best confiscate it all and do what any sensible mother would - pick through it for myself! ;)

6 comments:

Paul said...

that is such a cute picture of the little bird... I LOVE the expression on his face!

Reminds me of a lady in my old church.. she looked a lot like that when they sold the organ and went to WORSHIP CHORUSES !!!

Happy Easter!!

FarmgirlCyn said...

Snowed all weekend here in Michigan also. Heard they had snow in Atlanta and central Texas too! Those poor Texans don't have a clue as to how to handle snow after 85 degrees the day before! They just need to ask us Michiganders...suck it up and hibernate!

SoCalMuchacha said...

I think that little bird pic is one of my faves now, too! And I can see why folks pre-order those hanging baskets...gorgeous!

But of course the burning question is: how is Wilbur? ;)

jennifer said...

hey there mama! Love this blog. Its about time spring shows up isn't it?? We're a bit ladened with cold too. But soon...oh so soon we should feel the warm air and the sun's rays. And I will be envying your gorgeous hanging plants on Mother's Day! Wonderful!

jackie said...

Joy, I think I would like to put my name down for such a lovely basket. But where would I put it due to its weight? Jackie

Elizabeth said...

We're under a winter storm watch here in Wisconsin tonight. (What happened to that freak 79-degree day we had three weekends ago?) Bring on summer...

Your hanging basket is lovely.