Apr 23, 2007

He Who Hesitates Is Lost

Here's a shot of Wilbur LOOKING at a pile of leaves...


And here's a shot of Wilbur AFTER INDULGING in that pile of leaves:

Below another yard sale find from last summer...a marlin birdhouse. Apparently they're great for eating mosquitoes...


True hardened yard salers know the golden rule - he who hesitates is lost, right? If you don't want it, someone else will - so make up your mind! Case in point, this birdhouse. A woman and her grown children were hemming and hawing over this...would her husband want it? Was it too big to fit in her car? Blah Blah Blah! It was $20 - not a a lot for this vintage beauty in wonderful condition. She wouldn't commit to it and told the owner she would try and call her husband from her car. Off they went. And off I went - straight to the owner.

"Did she buy it?" I asked.
"No", he replied.
"Still for sale?" I pressed on.
"Yup" he answered.
"Sold! I'll take it!" I said.

I told him I felt a little bad for scooping her but she didn't hold it and 'he who hesitates is lost'! While driving away I saw the woman go back and tell the owner she would in fact take it. He regretfully informed her that he had sold it while she was gone and also added in there what I said about people who wait. I felt better as I saw her smile and laugh out loud at the remark. She had no choice but to agree.

3 comments:

one blue egg said...

Ya snoooze Ya lose! I would have grabbed that too:) and that wilber! Hey I have to show you a picture of my gram with her sheepdog! I'll try to post it tomorrow, at least I think it's a sheepdog? a vintage sheepdog:) xo

The Paris Apartment said...

that's a real cutie! nice work!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I usually pick up what I think i want, and that gives me a couple of minutes to really think about it. People come up and ask me if i am going to take "that", and if not, they would. Hard to do with the huge bird house tho! I usually buy what i want, and have had very few regrets. I love tag sales!