Aug 28, 2007

Advice, please

After many years, hubby has finally added a thick wooden railing to the front porch of the house. He wanted to paint it dark green and I wanted him to paint it black. So he painted it dark green. With some old paint that didn't dry right. I then persuaded him to try black, which he did. Surprise, surprise, he doesn't like it.



I say there is enough green on this house as evidenced in the pic below. Green roof, green shutters...a little black added into the mix might be nice. A punch of color to make it pop!


So then I suggested we paint the front door black to match which he thought was ABSOLUTELY PREPOSTEROUS. I then conceeded a tiny bit and thought maybe only the wood trim on the door should be black. Black wood trim on the hand railing, black wood trim on the door...


Help a girl out! What do you all think? Your comments are most appreciated!

11 comments:

Chunks said...

Maybe paint the railing the same color as the existing trim? The beigy-tanny color.

The black is nice though. Really it is.

My hubby is color blind. I love this about him. All color choices are mine. The Power I feel is amazing....hahahh!

Sandy said...

Oh, yes. Black front door without a doubt.

Come on over and win Paul's newest book, Jellyfish!

Sandy

cityfarmer said...

Hands down...black!!!Men just don't get it but they can!

marylou said...

Joy,
Love the idea of the door trim painted black to match the rail...would give lots of dimension. Of course, us gals are always right:)
Good Luck!!
Hugs, Marylou

Jenny said...

I think paint the front door black and the railing black as well.

Jenny said...

^^^^
railings....
oh and have I mentioned that I just love your house!! In case you forgot!

Roxie said...

I love the idea of the railing black with the trim of the door also in black. Very crisp looking and will stand out nicely. Good luck.

Casa Mia * My House * said...

Paint it Black, it will look beautiful. My neighbor painted his door black this summer....it looks amazing!

Room for Grace said...

I love me a black front door! This is my first time to your blog, but I say black - for sure.
Dena

The Paris Apartment said...

has your hubby ever heard of dorothy draper? check out her book 'in the pink'. she was a black fanatic and it sooo worked!!! black is back!!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I'd go for a color that stands out. my doors have been lots of colors, right now are kind of razberry. I've had plum, purple, olive, lots of colors, doors are easy to paint and you can change it as often as you'd like for a fresh look on your house! I am thinking about robins egg blue next....