Aug 27, 2007

A Weekend Full of Finds

Sometimes you have to sort through the trash before you find the treasure...


Bought a couple of costume jewelry bag lots at Value Village the other and had so much fun going through them!


Here are just some of the treasures I found hidden inside. The huge rhinestone brooch was missing a few stones but low and behold, I found some within to replace. I saw this exact brooch under glass at the antique show we went to on Saturday. The lady was aghast(!) when I told her what I had found in a junk bag. The vintage cherries pin is made of metal and very heavy.


This is an old wooden box I found on Saturday morning during the yard sales. It looks fairly non-descript...I have to admit I was driving by this yard sale and wasn't going to stop until I saw someone open the lid....


All I saw was pink and roses. Instead of the lady in the Ikea commercial saying "Start the car- start the car!" I was more like "Stop the car - stop the car!" The gentleman who owned it said it has been his grandmother's and was perhaps used for sewing notions - he then told me it needed a lot of work. I told him it was perfect the way it was...men! Do they always need to fix stuff?? ;)


It's two-tiered and just look at these shabby roses!


I found these old Pyrex beakers and thought they'd make lovely stem vases. I think they look lovely grouped together...'en masse', as they say. Have I mentioned I love anything 'en masse?' The more, the better baby!


And finally, when were were antiquing on Saturday afternoon I had spotted this old Eiffel Tower. These are a dime a dozen nowadays (replicas) but this one is different. It's vintage and is actually a lamp! It holds a tiny bulb underneath and I can't wait to see the light it will cast. I need to dig through my Christmas decorations to find a bulb this small.


Promised the kids back-to-school shopping today. Yes, there will be a spring in my step when we go down those aisles! After all, it IS the most wonderful time of the year...

5 comments:

Robolady said...

What Lovely finds. Never thought of buyin jewelry lots. But I'm starting to see the display value of the old costume jewelry. Thanks for the great ideas.

Robolady said...

I just took a real good look at the jewelry. I see you got a lot of old watches. Here is what I do with old watches.
http://www.robomargo.com/jewelry
scroll down just a bit to see the watchface earrings.

Lisa said...

Lovely finds! I know what you mean about husbands wanting to fix everything! They dont get it! LOL

Sadie Olive said...

Good treasures! That broch is so pretty!

restyled home said...

What a lovely blog! I just found your site when I was over at Bella Cafe (Tara's site). I was immediately enticed when I saw that you said you are a fellow Canadian. I am from Nova Scotia and am happily exploring this great blogging land. Come on over and visit...I'll definitely be browsing through your archives!!

Linda