Sep 10, 2007

Chandelier Chic

My love affair with chandeliers...



I love chandeliers. So much so that I have one in the kitchen, one in the dining room, and *three* in my bedroom. The one shown above - and two smaller ones tucked into the dormers. My bedroom is my place of refuge and being able to dim this light to suit my mood is so soothing. It can take the edge off of a rather bad day and transport you into a calmer, more peaceful place.

I actually got this chandelier from my brother who had picked it up at a tag sale a few years back. I had a stained glass fixture that he liked so we did an even trade. I still think I got the better end of the deal!

Chandeliers add so much drama to a room. They can dress it up the same way a beautiful set of pearls can dress up a plain outfit. Add lights and sparkling crystals together and magic happens. It never looks the same way twice.

The chandelier below is the one that hangs above my kitchen sink. Who says doing dishes can't be glamorous? ;) And what a steal this one was - $13.00 at a yard sale - I painted it white as soon as I got home!



Decorating styles may come and go but I will never tire of chandeliers...

15 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Joy, thanks for the kind words! I love chandeliers and since my two girls have had theirs taken down (sniff) I have a big white one and no room for it! I will have to sell it or hang it out in my workshop! How funny it will look with the lawnmowers!LOL i wanted to ask you about your jars. Do you have one for positive thinking? My daughter comes to mind for this! Kindness, Lisa

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I've got several myself! One in the dining room, one teeny one in the kitchen, and one in the upstairs foyer. Another teeny one is going up this week, I think above my buffet.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Don't they just make the room???

Jill said...

Ooooh..... so pretty!

Chunks said...

I think they are gorgeous but I don't have any. I don't know that dusting them would be on my list of "How I Want To Spend My Free Time" but yours are beautiful!

Plus, three women in the house, there is enough "drama" here baby! LOL!

Nunnie's Attic said...

I love chandeliers but I have none in this house that I'm thrilled with. I'll have to keep looking around. I wouldn't mind having yours...hint? No. Whatever.

Love,
Julie

Shabby Roses Boutique said...

Hi Joy,
Thanks so much for visiting my blog...it's lovely to meet you!
I love chandeliers too and would have them in every room of the house if I could! My husband just doesn't understand the attration though and so far I just have them in our bedroom, my daughter's bedroom and the lounge/dining room.
I am working on some more though...
Kathy :)

Jenny said...

I LOVE chandeliers as well and have been trying to convince my hubby to let me put one in our bedroom...we'll see. Maybe when we redo the bedroom he'll cave!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

What a beautiful chandelier, and a steal...too! It looks wonderful.

Thanks so much for all the sweet comments, I am so glad that I found you and your precious JOY jars!
Lidy

Heather Melzer said...

Gorgeous, Joy! I agree - they add so much to a room. My husband thought I was crazy for putting them in our bathrooms 5 yrs ago, but I think he finally gets it now :)

Sandy said...

Hi Joy!
Cool chandeliers -- and sorry I missed your giveaway. I've been swamped.
Blessings!
Sandy

Wanda said...

I love chandeliers, too and would have them in just about every room, but it's so danged hot here in the summer, we use ceiling fans all the time. So only a few chandeliers here and there. Even in those rooms I often find myself wishing it was a fan. I've been trying to work some in over side tables and other odd places.

Penny Carlson said...

I love chandeliers too! I buy vintage chandeliers and repair them. Sometimes totally change the looks. In fact in the current issue of Country Victorian Magazine I was lucky enough to have one of my chandeliers featured as well as a mosaic tea cart I created. On the chandelier I added a vintage teapot and vintage Limoges cups and saucers...I posted the pages on my blog...
Penny

Fabulous Finds Studio said...

Wow! That fabulous chandelier was $13? That may be the "buy of the century", lol! I love your blog...I found you at The Paris Apartment blog. Julie

Katrina said...

A friend linked me to your blog! It's beautiful! I love chandeliers, too! I have four right now and one going up this week! Thanks for inspiring me!