Sep 6, 2007

Our Not So "European" Armoire

When hubby and I were building the new addition to our old stone home we made a lot of mistakes. But some of them turned into good ones.


We never built a closet at the front door, instead we wanted to find a HUGE armoire to hold coats and shoes. Well, it turns out that finding a huge, european styled armoire is not as easy as one would think! After years of putting up with a small one I decided it was finally time to do something.


We'd make one! Well, we wouldn't make one - we'd have someone talented do it. One lucky day I was browsing through my decorating magazines and I found the armoire that I wanted. It was exactly what I had dreamed of (wish I saved that page!) I took the picture to a guy who has done work for us in the past and he was brave enough to take the project on.


And what a project it was! It wasn't just an armoire for the front door. I had bigger ideas. I had him take the small wall between the front entry way and our livingroom out and make it so the armoire would be two-sided and would back on to that. It would become the wall.


The middle holds the coats and shoes and the two side units are "cubbies" for Jack and Elle. That's where they put all of their "stuff" - and boy, do them ram them full!


We dressed it up with mouldings from a local building store.


I loved these handles as they look so european with their intricate details...


The backside turned out lovely too - more space to hold all my junk! I couldn't move the couch to show you all in one shot but there is storage underneath as well which can be seen below.


This moulding with the leaves fit right in and actually matched the handles nicely.


This shot is of the end of the unit, I'm thinking an old crackly mirror might look nice nestled into the large moulding frame.


So, sometimes 'mistakes' are meant to be. I know we never would have never found what we were looking for - instead we dreamed it up and couldn't be happier with the results.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

That is simply stunning!
Girl you have impeccable taste!!

Chunks said...

My front entry has NOTHING...no closet, not even a hook. Nor does it have the room, but I can enjoy yours! Gorgeous!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

WOW!!! I am so impressed! That is beautiful. Even tho you didn't do the actual work, you had the vision, and found someone who could carry it out. think it is awesome!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

What a great idea...it's beautiful.

I just visited your website, which is beautiful, too!
Lidy

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

What a beautiful storage solution! I love it when you can get something custom built to new specifications, but it can still have that old world feel.

Paul said...

WAY NICE!!! you are very very creative.... I admire the way you take garage sale junk and make it so chic and classy...

rochambeu said...

Dear Joy,
I found you through Lidy. Your wish jars are a beautiful gift and your armiore is absolutely stunning!

Nunnie's Attic said...

That's gorgeous and I'm totally jealous! I have no room for that in my house. But maybe if I tear down this darned supporting wall...?

Love,
Julie

Rochelleht said...

Oh my gosh, that is GORGEOUS! How unique. I love it.

SoCalMuchacha said...

I've been MIA from your blog for FAR too long, my dear...miss you! And let me just tell you that when I do (and I just HAVE to! ;)) win Lotto, you are SOOOOO heading down to SoCal to be my designer of some fabulous dog-friendly abode I will construct. Might want to keep a bag packed...just in case.

Hope all is well with you, your 4-legged and 2-legged loves. :)