Nov 17, 2007

Finally!

Wilbur, get out of the way, I have to take a picture!


(He never did move)


Well, here's my baby all dolled up! I added the glittered HOPE at the very end as an afterthought. Very befitting as my life has turned out to be all about hope. :)
(click on pic for more detailed view)


One the very bottom of the salvage piece it was very rusty so I simply adhered some antique passementerie silver threaded trim. The width was bang-on and now it hides the not-so-perfect bottom!

I had this old German tree topper but I yanked the cone off of it (for some odd reason) years ago. It was too small so I mounted it on some heavy duty cardboard stock and then covered that in antique sheet music. When I was making it, I stumbled upon the "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing" music scrap - a piece I had saved and knew would come in handy some day (hint, never throw things out - you WILL find a use for them!)


This piece is super-duper heavy but hangs from a pretty satin ribbon. I am still undecided whether I will keep it or sell it...


Anyway, on to other things... I found this cute iron purse at a thrift store yesterday and dressed it up for the holidays. See the tag on it? My sister gave me wonderful antique German die cut roses and I modge-podged one to one of my old milk bottle caps. I am getting SO much use out of them!



Yesterday I was without the internet all day! (and cable t.v.!) Oh, the horrors! They (and when I say 'they' I mean the horrible ogres) were working on the cable/internet wires all day outside my window. A 10 hour 'scheduled' outage that the cable company never bothered to tell anyone about. Love how they do that.

Last night I went to a Kris Kringle Market - a German craft/wares show that happens once a year. I got some really neat new/old store stock German Christmas decorations in their original boxes. I will post on that later. I desperately need to get some more coffee coursing through my veins right now...


21 comments:

The Paris Apartment said...

Wow~
I saw the after first, what an imagination you have! i'm so impressed you modgepodging diva!!!

Wanda said...

Oh, my goodness, that's gorgeous!! I keep hoping that if I hang around folks like you long enough, some of that talent will rub off on me. Just a tiny bit. I'm not greedy.

Don't you hate to be without internet for any length of time? But internet AND TV? That's why we chose not to go with cable internet. Maybe if one goes out, we'll still have the other.

Lisa said...

Ah, yes. I know what you mean when there's Internet interruption. We're so dependant on it now-lol.

Love the little metal bag. Very creative idea. Great browsing today.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Joy, you are so creative. Love how you turned that into something pretty to hang up for the Holidays. I admire all you girls who do that stuff, I simply don't have the time to sit down & create like that. When I do, it's usually painting something.

That metal purse with the vintage balls is so very pretty too. Looking forward to seeing all your Holiday decor too.

xo,
Rhoda

SoCal Muchacha said...

Girl, when you bring Wilbur out Hollywood way so he and Rudy can star in their own series, you are SOOOO gonna be in charge of "fixing up" the guest house I'll be renting. No pressure. ;) What WONDERS you did with that grate; truly incredible! :)

And congrats on surviving without internet/cable for a day--been there, done that, and it's brutal!

Sherry said...

Joy...what you create is always a delight..sorry Wilbur didn't ever move for the photo but you managed to work around him beautifully!

Sandra Evertson said...

This is Gorgeous!
And Wilbur is adorable!
Sandra Evertson

Alicia ~ Time Worn Style said...

Wow Joy, that has turned out to be a wonderful piece. I totally agree with the point about not throwing anything out. Everytime I do I always find I need it later!

RoxRocks said...

Haha that Wilbur is incorrigible!

Love what you did and I am curious to see the German Christmas decorations! Any Santas?

Heartinmyhand said...

You are very clever. Your baby is beautiful and so is Wilbur

Robolady said...

I love both projects, great job. Just give Wilbur a nudge...doesn't work with my dogs either.

restyled home said...

I repeat, the Junkmarket girls better watch their backs!!!!
Love it!!

Linda

Natasha Burns said...

Joy it is absolutely fantastic!!! Love what you did. you have such a knack for putting things together!
What a bummer without the tv or internet!!! oh gosh we had one day out like that but we were warned. it was right in the middle of Summer of course, on a stinking hot day!

melissa @ the inspired room said...

You never cease to amaze and inspire!

xo,
Melissa

Cottage by the River said...

Joy- You work wonders, it is so lovely. Love the ornaments in the purse. Another pic of that sweet dog to make me laugh!!
Bristol

Nunnie's Attic said...

I love Wilbur!

And your grate came out so beautifully. I had no idea what you were going to do with it. And anything I could come up with turned out being horizontal.

I could go all day long without the tv or the internet. But NEVER both at the same time. You were very brave!

Love,
Julie

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

That is the angel we had on our tree when I was growing up. I have one like it on our tree now. Love those old tree toppers! what you did with is is lovely.

Alison Gibbs said...

Love Wilbur!
What a wonderful creation. The Hope sign looks great on it.
Alison

cindy said...

Whoa....amazing...I would have never thought of all of that. It's sooooo beautiful!

PAINT MINE PINK said...

Well Joy it just goes to show that we should never chuck stuff out...there will always be use for it later.
I love your new creation, Its fantastic.
And it goes without saying of course that Wilbur is awfully sweet :)

Shannon :)

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is the same tree topper we have! Only I am from a Dutch background!? And yours is in much better shape than mine! I had put a toilet paper tube to the back of the angel to be able to put her up as the tree topper. And aren't the "rays" spun glass or something? (I hope it isn't asbestos!) But I LOVE mine because it reminds me so much of home! Your rays are also in much better shape than mine, I must have played with mine a bit as a child! Anyway - love your decorations!

Diane

doggone it - it isn't accepting my password! hmmmm this is littlealmadotblogspotdotcom