Nov 4, 2007

What I've Been Up To...

Last summer (that sounds SOOO far away right now) I went to a flea market in Kingston and found a bag full of these old vintage souvenir photograph packets. I had never seen anything like them before. Cute little packets filled with 12 black and white photographs that tourists could buy. Kind of handy if you weren't carrying a "Brownie" back then I suppose!


I ended up putting some under the glass of one of my side tables to display and decided to turn another pack into tags/ornaments....



I backed them with antique sheet music and used vintage wallpaper on the reverse. Of course, I had to dip the scalloped edges in silver glitter! This set is in my shop and I believe these photos were from Scotland.

I made some more ornaments -
this set features pretty pastel colors. In my huge stash of antique sheet music I found some HO HO HO lyrics and stuck some snippets on.





Finally, these hand made handkerchief scarves are now up for sale on my site too. They're fun and funky without all of the bulk of a long scarf.



Doesn't the day you change the clocks back seem like the LONGEST day ever? My goodness, it's only 4 o'clock and I am ready to throw in the towel!



18 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Joy, your handmade tags are just so pretty, I really admire you girls who do all the paper crafting. I just haven't gotten into that yet, but ya'll are making me want to!

I got my wonderful giveaway package in the mail on Sat. & I'm about to post about it on my blog, so come by & see! Thank you SO much! I love everything in there & the fact that you made some of those things is even more special. That clipboard is the cutest. I will be displayed in my office nook. Thanks again, Joy!

xo,
Rhoda

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

YES it does seem like the longest day ever!!!! I was just saying that to my husband. lol

LOVE your new goodies...so much talent you have Joy! Love your eye for things.

RoxRocks said...

It does seem like the longest day ever!

I am amazed by all you do! Did you make the scarf yourself? Good lord woman, when do you find the time?!

Sherry said...

Joy I was just thinking that...when we change the clocks back it seems like the longest day of the year!!! It's pitch black and 6:52...feels like I should have been in bed ages ago!!

Love these things you've made..and what a clever idea with the old photographs! A real find!

melissa @ the inspired room said...

The good news about the longest day ever? I am actually getting even more things done today! Woo hoo!

I really like your ornaments, and all of your antique sheet music. I am trying to get myself inspired to make gifts for the Pay It Forward gift exchange I signed up for.

Those little sheet music ornaments are so adorable! You are always inspiring! Now if I only had the talent and tools to create that sort of thing myself!

xo,
Melissa

Alicia ~ Time Worn Style said...

HI joy, those christmas decorations are beautiful. We have had to put our clocks forward here in Australia as we are heading into summer now, cant wait for the beach days yay!

The Old Painted Cottage said...

Joy, Those tags are so delightful, and that scarf seems to be calling my name! Did you make it? It is gorgeous!

By the way, the peppermint whipped cream is made by Land O Lakes..you can probably find it at any market ; )

oxox
Jennifer

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Hi Joy, I feel the same way. The day the time changes does seem like the longest day of the year. And getting dark at 5:00 pm. Yuk! Isn't making the ornament tags so much fun? I am having a blast and have a million ideas running around in my head. Yours are just adorable. ~ Lynn

Nunnie's Attic said...

I love the tags! What a great idea. As you know, I don't craft ... I'm totally jealous.

Love,
Julie

joan said...

Hi Joy,

Came from Rhoda site and your blog is lovely. I realy like your scarves. I've been getting into wearing scarves this fall. I'll be back to visit.

Lisa said...

Wow, love the little handmade tags. They're adorable!

cityfarmer said...

Will you be putting these on your tree?


wouldn't that be the greatest theme tree?

Jerusalem said...

what great ideas - all of it is beautiful!

Rosemary said...

Wow!!
Beautiful!
I found your blog through Rhoda's blog. Love your blog.
Visit me sometime,
Rosemary

Mrs. Jones said...

They are absolutely beautiful! Isn't it exciting when you find something neat like that at a flea market?

Cottage by the River said...

You are super talented!! Love what you have been up to. Have a great week.

Bristol

Cheryl said...

Loving your tags! Gorgeous!

Wanda said...

Who else but you would think to do that with those old, worthless pictures? You've given them new life and made them desirable once again!