Nov 8, 2007

Why I Love Thrift Stores


Imagine my surprise today when I stumbled upon these old fella's!

I walked into one of my fav thrift stores today and headed straight for the 'Christmas' section. (which last week happened to be the 'Garden' section) In a box on the floor lay these old nutcrackers. I have a thing for nutcrackers as my hubby is German and I think they look beautiful displayed over the Christmas holidays.



I couldn't believe my eyes - they were a gorgeous bunch and the price was certainly right. $2 for the large and $1.50 for the small!


The person pricing them must have thought they were from the Dollar Store or somethin'...


I wonder where did they come from? Why did someone give them away?...


This one looks a bit like Abe Lincoln with his tall black hat! He's the most serious one. I think I will call him Helmut.

Don't you just love it when you walk out of a thrift store with an instant collection?!...


9 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

It must have been your lucky day.
An instant collection of Nutcrackers. They are lovely.
Alison

Sondra said...

Oh my goodness....I'm LOVING your pram wheel decoration. Too darn cute! Now I need to get out and score me some pram wheels!!

Sherry said...

Joy I just love it when that happens. It's not enough that we're paying "less" because it's thrift (LOL!), but when they don't know what something is worth and they price it even lower, it's like manna from heaven that we were meant to have!!

Wanda said...

Wow! You did good! Walk out a thrift store with an instant collection? That's never happened to me. Our thrifts only have dollar store stuff or way overpriced, broken "antiques". I do hear other parts of the country have good thrifts, though. Luckeeee!

Nunnie's Attic said...

My mom has always loved Nutcrackers. She has them all over the house at Christmas. Not to mention this Nutcracker Ballet Theater that plays different songs complete with scene changes. She took all of us to see The Nutcracker in Pittsburgh when we were each about 12 years old. She has done that with her grandkids too.

Love,
Julie

Teresa said...

Those are a great find! I love your blog, I found so many things I liked including Napolian Dynamite! Too cute!

Teresa

Lisa said...

What a wonderful Nutcracker collection.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I love those too! What a great find. I only have one nutcracker, but you really scored with that instant collection.

Rhoda

vintage sue said...

I'm so glad for you that you found all those nutcrackers. Personally, they creep me out (don't ask), so I'm always happy when someone else finds a home for them (far away from me)! Tee hee