Dec 10, 2007

Roll With the Punches

I was designated to make the dessert for one of the parties we attended Saturday night so I chose to make a triple layer apple spice cake that is in the holiday issue of this month's Home Companion magazine. I had gone out Friday to buy some pecan pieces as they were to cover the entire side of the cake. I got the last two packages at the grocery store closest to my home and considered myself lucky to find them. (there must be a lot of bakers in this town as they go like hotcakes)


Notice how in this picture the pecans are only on the top? Well, I toasted both packages and managed not to burn them (I always do!) So proud of myself, I placed them on a plate on the counter to cool and then let Wilbur in.


Do you see where this is going?


I made the big mistake of getting sidetracked in the other room and then heard some noises from the kitchen. Both kids were outside playing and I instinctively knew what was taking place. Yes, Wilbur helped himself to ALL of those wonderfully perfectly toasted pecans. It was too late to go hunting for some more and luckily I had half a bag in my cupboard so the cake went from being 'totally encrusted' to 'sprinkled with a few measely pecans' on top. Needless to say Wilbur knew I was quite mad at him but I guess no-one really was the wiser. Roll with the punches!

My Shirley Temple hair-do took ALL DAY to calm down and even then I had to spritz it with some water. Unreal! Anyway, sorry no 'before' pics but here is an 'after'. These are our dear friends (hubby's college buddies from way back) They are such a fun group and we always get together for dinners throughout the year. We had a deep-fried turkey and was it ever tasty! 45 mins in the fryer and it was done to perfection.


I'm getting ready for Karla's "What Do You Love About Your Holiday Home" party on December 12th. Be sure and join in on the fun!


13 comments:

restyled home said...

I laughed at that ol' Wilbur...he sure sounds like a scamp!!

I love your feather tree all done up a la Joy! It is beautiful, and I love all your decorations!!

Come on over and check out my interview with the Junk Market girls...I think you could go in business with them!

Linda
xox

Sandy said...

Oh my! I had a dog who ate half my lasagna- that I made for a work party...so I know how you feel!Your cake turned out lovely though and you are very pretty! See you at the blog party!

Alicia ~ Time Worn Style said...

Joy you are very calm with your wilbur, I think I would have lost it if mine got up to mischief like that. Mind you she wouldnt be able to reach the bench top anyway lol!!
Alicia ~ time worn style

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Joy, I imagine they must have used a ton of extension cords on that little tree because it's a long, long way from any house. I laughed out loud at this post. My golden retriever once pulled the Easter ham off the stove during the night and I was having tons of people over for Easter dinner. Luckily we were good friends with the owners of a little specialty market out here and he opened the store for me that day so I could get another ham. Don't we just love our fur babies? Is that you with the gold belt on? What a pretty lady you are. Oh...and please I hope you saved me a piece of that cake. Love apples and pecans together. xo Lynn

cindy said...

Looks delish, even without all the intended pecans. Love your cuteness.

Kari & Kijsa said...

Hope Wilbur enjoyed his pecans...LOL...your cake looks wonderful though!

Have a very blessed day!

smiles, kari and kijsa

Alison Gibbs said...

Oh no!!! Wilbur is a bit naughty. Just as well you love him.
Alison

RoxRocks said...

Wilbur would have a heyday in this house, we are notorious for leaving food out. Of course, my baby is a midget so he couldn't get the food if he learned how to climb the cupboards! LOL!

Hey, you are the hot chick in that group photo! Your hair looks great with the curls!

http://petticoatjunction.typepad.com/petticoat_junction/ said...

Joy
That cake looks fantastic just like it is! I want the recipe!
I love your little cone ornaments too....bet I will be back later to buy some of those.
xoxo
Diane

Auntie Joy said...

Hi Auntie Joy,
Thanks for stopping by, I have been out of the blog circle for awhile. It was a bad time to be gone! You have been up to some wonderful adventures!! We had a dog once that would eat even the butter if you left it out!!
Have a great day! Auntie Joy!!

Sandy said...

Always love Wilbur stories. Sorry about the nuts ... but the cake looks FAB. Also love the pix of everyone!

Kathleen Grace said...

Oh my! Naughty dog! The cake looks scrumptious anyway and I am sure tasted great.

cityfarmer said...

I am joining the fun...I've never enjoyed my home like this year....pared down and tweeked...

You can peek at it on my 200th post...enjoy...
bless you dear new friend.