Jan 21, 2008

And the Winner is...


Lucky number 18 - Cerri from Little Pink Studio! Congrats Cerri, please email me your address and I will get your prize pack out for you! Thanks to all of you who stopped by - it was a great 500th post celebration. :)


We had another celebration here on Saturday - our little Elle turned 10 and had a pool party with her friends. This birthday theme - a luau including hula skirts and leis...perfect for -20 January weather! lol



Last year we had her party here at our house, this year we brought them to the Aquatic Centre in town...



A fun time was had by all and as a bonus, I was able to maintain my sanity - woohoo!



And now for something completely different...


Hubby and I had a huge dilemma in our bedroom. (no, not that - get your mind out of the gutter!) Storage. Storage was the problem. We just didn't have a big enough closet and our dresser space was also limited. When we bought our bedroom set we bought all of the same 'matchy-matchy poo-poo' stuff (what were we thinking?) and I flat out refused to buy another dresser in the same design - plus, the cost was crazy. It was so bad that when I did laundry the clothes would just stay in the laundry basket. I had no place to put them.


Value Village to the rescue! I walked in there on Friday and saw this:



A HUGE 8 drawer dresser with great lines. With solid wood drawers! I could see through the horrible carpeted, elevated bottom and knew it would work. Plus, the price was right...I must say though that I had a 20% off coupon too so really it was only $36.00!



It fit just perfectly into my truck and my wonderful sister and I hauled it up stairs which was no easy feat. I knew I had to get it in place and decorate it before hubby came home. Mission accomplished. He loved it.

My dresser...


And I'm going to hang this old mirror (sideways) above it:



The best part is, they actually has another dresser just like this one so went back and bought it too! I still don't know how I managed to find room for another one but I did - this one tucks into the opposite corner of the room. Now hubby has a dresser and so do I.


His dresser:



In the summer we'll re-paint them but for now they're just fine. I tore the carpet off the bottom and actually like the fact that they're elevated, I think they were used in an old bridal store. The knobs will need to be replaced too - they're a little fussy. The color and design breaks up our set though and adds some much-needed 'pop' to the room.


Man, I love thirift stores...


10 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Lucky find, Joy! I so love thrifting too & finding things that will work without breaking the bank. Those are great pieces. I can see them painted too, maybe something decorative on the panels. congrats!

Rhoda

Antique Paperie said...

I love to go thrifting as well - everything I see has to be re-born. I buy it, and I re-do it.
What great finds in those 2 dressers!And a Bargain! They look so nice in the bedroom!
Congratulations to Cerri!! She will be getting an awsome gift in the mail from our fabulous Joy!

And, Elle had the cutest themed Birthday Party!! Look at those little Hula Skirts! And I LOVE the purse treat bags...Mama Joy - you did an AWSOME Job and I bet Elle was soooo happy! She's a cutie!
Hugs my friend, xo Sherri

Sugar Bear said...

What a fun party! The dressers are gorgeous - I'm sure they will be even more so once you work more magic. Great find.
Karla

Alison Gibbs said...

What a great find the dressers were. Storage is always a problem no matter how much of it we have we want more.
What a fun party.
Alison

Anonymous said...

Joy...the dressers look so great in your bedroom..what a find!! I LOVE Value Village..their selection & prices are amazing. You did good for sure! Sue

A Thing for Roses said...

Don't cha just love being able to find what you need at a great price? Honestly, I can't understand why some people pay retail. It just doesn't make sense to me. Oh well, I'm not complaining. More thrifty goodies for the rest of us, right? Good job on those dressers.

Lisa

Katrina said...

Great finds! I can't even count how many things are from thrift stores in my house! I love a good bargain.

Beth Leintz said...

Oh isn't is nice to have enough drawers! Your bedroom is so pretty- elegant but calm.

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

Okay, your Value Village is AMAZING! Our Value Village is the pits here! Oh, I love them! And the color! They are perfection!!!! Oh yay yay yay!! Did they have on for me too? xo

Little Pink Studio said...

I won?! Wow, I never win! I am super, super excited!! Thank you Joy!!
My email address is yescerri@yahoo.com
I will go see if I can find an email address for you though!
Fun!
~Cerri xoxo