Mar 12, 2008

Fun Day


It's March Break for the kiddies here in Canada and seeing Jack, Elle and I were sick and tired of making igloos, we decided to take a day trip to Ottawa. Ellie has been wanting to go to Build A Bear for some time now and she was over the moon excited.


We took the back roads after dropping Wilbur off for his fun day at Doggy Day Care. I have been driving by this old general store for a while now and noticed the owner had some antiques displayed in the front window. Well, so this day was actually fun for me too, I decided to drop in....



Oh, the details...original floor to ceiling wooden shelving...



Wait, what's that I see...



Ahh, yes a beautiful old tin lunch box in the best shade of 1930's green...



But alas, none of the antiques are for sale. The owner just decorates with them. My heart sank to the floor.



While paying for some treats I noticed old price tags on some of the candy jars. I asked the owner's wife if she had anymore (she seemed rather annoyed at her husband's collection of old stuff!) and she pulled out an old tin box FULL. My heart raced....



I asked her if he would be willing to part with any - she seemed unsure but decided he would never notice a few missing so she gathered together this lot, threw in an original metal stand, and charged me $2.00. I was thrilled. That was the best part of Fun Day for me!


Ellie couldn't have had more fun at Build A Bear...first she picked one out...



Then she stuffed it...



And put a heart in...



This is a brilliant marketing scheme I tell ya. And the accessories to dress your bear (or monkey) in are fab. u. lous. They've got it going on!


The icing on the cake of our fun day was getting to play with this little puppy when we picked up Wilbur. There's nothing like a puppy, is there? It releases endorphins in me like crazy! Happy Happy Puppy Play!



Today is not fun day. It is work day. Oh, and 'go-to-the-orthodontist-and-question-why-you-never-married-one'. Boy, those people make good money! ;)


So here's what I'm working on. Getting organized.



This cupboard has been neglected for a very long time. All of the drawers that I use have mix-matched stuff in them and it takes me forever to find anything. I have finally started the daunting task of cleaning out, purging and re-organizing. I think I should be done by the end of Summer.



p.s. It's snowing. Again.

12 comments:

Sugar Bear said...

Oh no - not more snow! It has to end soon right? Looks like a really great day.
Karla

Alison Gibbs said...

What a fun day.
Lucky for you the General Store husband was out or you would never have got those great tags.
Hope that snow eases up.
Alison

Shabbyfufu said...

Wow what a post Joy! Don't you just love a score like your tags:-). Hopefully your snow will end soon~my goodness, it's almost Spring!~XO~Janet

Casa Mia * My House * said...

That is a real fun day and those tags, wow....It's snowed again here in Montreal, sigh!

Sandy said...

How awesome to stumble upon sucha store! My kids are begging me for build-a-bear! I am just trying to keep them busy this week and am counting down the days til they are back to school..lol!

LIBERTY POST EDITOR said...

Isn't is nice to have such a special day. One you won't forget. I love Ottawa. (after all, I was born there..)

debbie said...

that lunchbox was fabulous! bummer you couldn't purchase it, but her selling you those store price tags and stand almost made up for it =) looks like you had a wonderful day!!! debbie

Shabby Miss Jenn said...

I love those numbers! So glad to see she liked Build a Bear. I love that monkey! :)

The Summer Kitchen Interiors said...

Hello! Found you on Sugar Bear. You have a great blog! Those vintage tags are awesome - I'm so jealous!
I'm trying to put off build-a-bear for another month, at least!
Enjoy your day!
Karla

Jenny said...

That lunchbox was superb!!!
Great find with the price tags.
Whose getting braces?

Natasha Burns said...

WOw great finds those tags were!! The shop looks great!
Build a bear looks like so much fun, we have one here too - they think of the cutest things don't they!

Juicy Jenn said...

Ahh...I just saw a bunch of geese flying your direction babycakes! That's a sign. Im tellin ya, spring is on its way!!!! The geese always know before we do. Heads up for spring flowers babycakes.