Mar 5, 2008

Kindred Spirits


What a day my best friend Janet and I had yesterday! She and I have been frequenting this FABULOUS antique store 'Memory Lane' as mentioned and shown HERE in a blog post I wrote last September. The lady who owns it, Karen, is so friendly and wonderful and we recently got to know her and her best friend Kathy who also works there. (the store is in Massena NY, just across the border from where we live in Ontario.)

Well, last week we got to chatting and realized what kindred spirits we are. We love old stuff. We are obsessed with it. And let me tell you, if you want to be inspired this is the place to go. These people know the art of display. Truly.

Anyway, last week while we were talking, Karen found out about my Hope Jars and Janet's gift baskets. She ordered a case of Hope Jars (thanks, Karen!!) and also wanted to see some of Janet's baskets to consign at her store. So off we went with our wares one week later. (the longest week of our life!) Karen was kind enough to hand pick some items from her attic and also contacted a lady who sells old bottles for me and had all of this stuff ready for us to pick through. We were in heaven.


And like that wasn't enough...guess what else she did? She made us lunch! Seriously, we love this woman! She made MACARONI & CHEESE and the most decadent and fabulous CHOCOLATE CAKE. We ate right there in her store - at one of the table vignettes set up. It was so kind of her to do all of that for us and we were really touched. It was the most fun I have had in a long time. :)


Some of the treasures I picked up:



I have no idea ... but I do know what I am going to do with it...


And just look at these old dye envelopes Karen thought I would like....



I love 'em!


Here is some altered art I have been working on. (those old prescription ledger papers have been keeping me busy) An old baptismal record from Memory Lane with the BEST roses also worked its' way in there...



They didn't photograph very well because it is a rather dark day here. Another snow storm, this one including lots of ice pellets mixed in for good measure. And guess what? The buses were cancelled AGAIN! That's twice this week! I think the kids are up to about 10 missed days of school due to weather. To lift my spirits I will visit all of the blog writers who live in sunny CA and warm Australia. :) I guess I'll just have to wait this winter out. As my husband always loves to say - "Nothing last forever." I have to disagree, Canadian winters DO last forever....


Oh, one more thing. I can't do it. I can't throw the doll out. It's just not right. Even hubby agreed which FLOORED me. Instead she will become my one-armed, one-legged muse. I will take photographs of her in interesting and precarious places for your viewing pleasure.
'Cuz that's just the kinda girl I am. ;)


9 comments:

RoxRocks said...

I love it that you are going to keep your one arm-one leg doll! She needs a name. How about Peg?

(Oh god, I'm going down for that one!)

Twice today I've read about mac and cheese. I might have to make some.

Sugar Bear said...

Congrats on the success of the Hope Jars. They are such a wonderful, comforting gift.
Karla

Robolady said...

I think the little rack is a test tube holder of some kind. Love the story about the great store. yumm, chocolate cake.....
Margo

The Old Painted Cottage said...

Dear Joy, you are one of my chosen recipients for the "You Make My Day" award! Please visit my blog today to claim your award.

oxox
Jennifer

Alison Gibbs said...

Yay you are keeping the doll.
Thanks for visiting my blog.
What a great place for you and your friend Janet to visit and now to be able to sell some of your artwork there is wonderful.
Alison

Kari & Kijsa said...

Joy,

Sounds like a wonderful, wonderful day! What fun and your goodies from Karen's shop are fabulous!

smiles, kari & kijsa

Natasha Burns said...

Hi Joy!
So glad you are keeping the doll!! I can't wait to see her adventures, lol that is a cute idea!
Sounds like you two had a great time with Karen - i checked out the previous post with the shop pics and oh wow, how wonderful, she had two beautiful vintage dresses and the yellow one floored me!
Well done with the Hope Jars, they are so lovely!!!
Natasha ; )

PS. the flowering tea is from CANADA!!! lol!!! Look up ebay for the seller uniqueglassteapot and you'll find them. they are great value and heaps cheaper for me to buy it from them even with the shipping cost, than it is for me to buy it from a shop 20 mins from my home!!!

debbie said...

wow! you had a FABULOUS day =) love all of your pretties... debbie

Gayle said...

Joy - Do you think your friend Karen has any more of those old dye packets available for purchase? I'm a rug hooker, and usually dye my own wool, so I love to collect stuff like that! Can you check with her? Or give me her contact info so I can check with her? Thanks so much!
Gayle
dyeing2hook@msn.com