Mar 1, 2008

Letting Go...


Isn't she beautiful? After cleaning house today I came upon her. A doll I have had since I was 7 years old. That makes her 32 years old this Spring. Damn, she looks good!



Well, not really... Upon closer inspection she has seen better days. Where her limbs went, I have no idea. Why have I kept her all of these years? I have no idea. I brought her downstairs, took this quick photo and for some reason cannot bring myself to put her in the garbage. What is wrong with me? Why do I want ot keep a one-arm, one-legged doll from 1976 with black marker on her face?



I'll keep you posted on how long she stands guard by the fireplace before I muster up the courage to send her packing.


I have had this old dresser vanity box since the summer. It has sat on my desk since August waiting for me to figure out what to do with it. Well, it finally came to me!



I tore out the fabric, removed the wooden blocks which were the mounts for the brush and comb set and then re-attached the fabric.



I used some of my vintage prescription paper to line the back and also added some pearls, a vintage brooch and some lace to dress it up.



And the vintage tin cups I bought last week were anxious to be put to good use...



I think it makes the perfect spot to hold your favorite rings, jewels, etc.




17 comments:

Robolady said...

I love the altered box. Don't you just love it when it finally "hits" you as to what to do with something. I say keep the doll, she obviously means something to you, and I really wish my mom had not lost my Mrs Beasley in her last move.

Alison Gibbs said...

How sweet to still have your doll. You want to keep her because it has so many happy memories.
Love what you have done with the vanity box. If you hang onto something for long enough - inspiration is bound to come.
Have a great weekend.
Alison

The Old Painted Cottage said...

Joy, this is absolutely darling and so creative! Love it!

oxox
Jennifer

Natasha Burns said...

Joy this is so beautiful! I love what you have created, you've got a wonderful eye for things!
The doll - oh I don't know how you will get rid of her.... I couldn't do it!!!

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

oh my gosh Joy!! I LOVE that dresser box... It is SOOO gorgeous!!!!

Sweet little dolly :)

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

What if you popped the little dolly's head off and put a pretty crown on top of her head?? That would be cute. Just thinking...

Zulkijora said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth Leintz said...

I love your dolly- with her arm in the air it's like she's saying "Ta da". I think you haven't gotten rid of her because you know SHE'S A KEEPER. You're going to transform her into something wonderful- imagine her holding your necklaces on her "ta da" arm.

Your dresser box is just wonderful!

fromthepines said...

That box is so cool!
Good idea.

Cheryl

Jerusalem said...

what a great idea! So clever!

Sarah said...

Great idea! The doll...too funy! Just found your blog. Can't wait to read more! Be back soon to visit
Sarah
http://vintagelily.typepad.com/my_weblog/

debbie said...

omg! lol!!! i love the doll... isn't it odd how certain things hold memories and sentiments that we just can't let go of =) debbie p.s. the box redo is GORGEOUS!!!

Shabbyfufu said...

You are so creative Joy...I love what you did with the old dresser box:-). Oh you should keep Ms Dolly, tattered and torn treasures from childhood are so sweet! ~XO~Janet

Angel... said...

Wow.. you still have your doll.. I love it..she is so beautiful. Your dresser box is so gorgeous as well.

see you,
Angel

TamboinMO said...

I love to see how you "remake" things. There is a group on etsy called etsy recyclers....someone there might want your doll to make something great out of it....just a thought. Here is the link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EtsyRecycle/

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

YOur doll looks like the picture on the front of the box. (the box turned out lovely!)

And by the way, that is a beauty mark on her face, not marker!!

oldflowers4me said...

hello darling girl- your dolly needs 1 of my lilac fairy cakes- your so lucky to have your doll from your child-hood- , just think how much fun she gave you- singing and skipping love jo.