Apr 30, 2008

Favorite Childhood Toy Party!


The ever adorable Jessi from Scrappy Jessi is hosting a "Favorite Childhood Toy Party" over at her blog. She has invited everyone to share their fav toys from the past and I have to admit that researching this to find pics was such a blast from the past!


I would be remiss if I didn't include Jack. (maybe that's why I named my son that?) I loved this toy when I was about 4 or 5 years old. The graphics were colorful and bright and I have to admit- it scared me every single time it popped.



The game of Simon. Ahhhhh, what a frustrating game for a girl who had the attention span of a knat....



My sister Melody and I loved Ernie and Bert.
I was always Ernie.
She was always Bert.
(Ernie rocks!)



My heart still pounds when I see this Avon *perfume pin.
I loved this Avon pin...



Until my friend Debbie came to school with THIS pin...a bunny wearing roller skates...I just about died!



They ingeniously hid perfume in the back of the pins. I can still remember how it smelled. Yes, Avon knew the hold they had on me and produced many more of these oh-so-fabulous pins. I became an addict. And happily so....



"Lil Kiddles." Need I say more ladies? Genius. Small cute dolls nestled inside small cute vessels.


What more could a girl want?



Even though I have previously admitted on this blog that I have no talent in 'doing' hair, I loved my Farrah Fawcett Glamour Center. I could continually botch her hair - and her make-up - and she never said a cross word to me!



Thumbelina. What a sweetie. 'Nuff said?



Ahh, the Lemon Twist. If you didn't have a Lemon Twist you were nobody.



And finally, the ever popular Barbie Camper. I would skootch down real low, peer into that camper and imagine myself camping out with Barbie and her friends. Maybe Ken would stop by for some roasted marshmallows by the fire? One never knew!



Thanks for joining me in a walk down memory lane - hope you enjoyed it! :)


30 comments:

Vintage Tea said...

I had a Barbie Caravan too... great big long orange thing it was!

I should have my toys post on tomorrow! I had as much fun as you hunting my old toys out!

Victoria x

a said...

hahahha oh man I love this post..ok the avon pins did they have purfume in them?? I believe they did! or was that something else? hahahha I had all of these toys & & & the barbie airplane did you have that too? I can still smell that plastic case! oh and the Sunshine family hahhahahaha they were fun..until the girls would come and play when they left...something was always missing! urmpt! :(

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Dear Joy,

Such happiness. I had the same Barbie camper! I seem to recall that the "skunk" pin opened up and had perfume inside?

What fun!
Laura

Simply Me Art said...

Im laughing so hard, I had to bring my daughter over to look at the Kewpie dolls I loved and the Farrah Fawcett head I never got and always wanted... Great post Joy, Oh, loved that Simon in Jr. High. Jamie

Sandy said...

OMG I had Lil Kiddles and Jack in the box! Where did you find the images! Too cool!Sandyxox

Alison Gibbs said...

Oh how much fun you must have had.
Alison

Natasha Burns said...

What wonderful toys Joy!!! I loved Ernie and Bert too, so much that I named our current dog Ernie, lol, sad huh?

Sugar Bear said...

Oh Simon! I had forgotten about that one. Loved it.
Karla

Barbara at Oodles and Oodles said...

Avon pin pals! OMG! Completely forgot about them. I can't remember what mine looked like at all (even when I look at your pictures!) but I remember opening up the top and the slick feel and the scent of the perfume ... thanks!

Scrappy Jessi said...

JOY,'
im laughing so loud.
i had so many of these toys.
i forgot about that lemon toy. we had those.
i swer i had a ton of those avon pins too. they opened up with hard perfume, or lipgloss in side!!
so fun
thanks for shaing all your toys.
thanks for coming to my party.
oxoox,
jessi

Rosa said...

Hi,
Those perfume pins are adorable!
great toys!
Rosa

Sophee-a Laroo Bijoux and Sheri too said...

What a fun post....I was doing the dessert carnival so I do not have time to enter this one. I have got to browse these toys!
You and I are the same fab. age so I played with and remember all of these,except the lemon twist LOL

Lolly said...

Aren't these memories fun! I, too, loved my Thumbelina doll, and the Barbie Camper totally rocked!!
~Lolly

Lori said...

Joy, Wow forgot about the Lemon Twist! I think the one we had here was red and blue and called something else! Yep, also loved the little girls Avon too! Thanks for sharing, Come visit,Lori

ursula said...

Wow! The Lemon Twist used to amuse me for a whole afternoon - ah, how little amuses the innocent....
Also, I had the little Avon Skunk pin and a coordinating bottle of Honeysuckle perfume.....thanks for the memories......

Stephanie said...

What fun toys & memories! The little pocket dolls were favs of mine, too! Thanks for sharing!

Please visit my toys when you get a chance ~ I have so many that I did TWO posts!

Stephanie
Angelic Accents

~j~ said...

What the heck!!! you had a thumbelina doll too! Joy, where did you find that picture?!I think of that doll often and would love to get my hands on one in that great of shape, mine was loved to the death and was a bald, tattered mess when last i held her!
awww thanks for such a great memory.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Joy, you just made my day! I love those Avon perfume cat pins. I had the red calico one. And like you, I still remember the scent!

It was a pleasure seeing those wonderful toys!
I love your site!
Becky

mendytexas said...

That Farrah head is to die for!! I had the huge Barbie head and I played with her for hours on end. I LOVE your photos...:)mendy

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I think its so funny how many people had the Barbie camper! I must say that I do too!

Sherry said...

Those little perfume toys and the kiddles were so cool! Great toys! I still love Jack-in-the-boxes!

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

I need Simon, like now!!!! He would so help me with my memory excercises!!!! Toooo fun!!! xo

Korie B. said...

OMG. Perfume Pins! Just looking at it and I can smell the grease-based perfume.
Oh thank you for taking me back!!

fated follies studio said...

i love what you shared. i remember the simon game. that was so much fun.

jenny

Jennifer said...

What a flashback Joy! I had the little gingerbread man perfume pin...holy moly!!!!!

Sherry/Cherie said...

Great photos Joy...I remember many hours of fun with "Simon" which drove my mother crazy!

Alisa said...

Oh I loved Simon and those Avon pins were so awesome, weren't they?! Thanks for sharing.
Alisa

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Oh the Farrah hair.
Fun stopping by here.
:)
Cathy

Heather ~Pretty Petals said...

OH my gosh!!!! that farrah doll is just the BEST!!!!

I loved bert and ernie too!! lol.... and tell me... do you remember when snufflalupagus (sp?)was invisible and no one knew he was there except big bird??? it isn't like that now!

So much fun reading this post! xoxo

Thrifty Miss Priss said...

Loved the post! I had a Barbie camper....I had to memorize my multiplication tables before my mom would buy it!