Jun 1, 2008

I Left My Heart...


...in San Francisco. And Carmel for that matter.


Hubby and I have decided that San Francisco is just the best! San Francisco is such a friendly city, so great for kids, and has so much to offer. We truly fell in love with it.


We stayed right down near Fisherman's Wharf - what a hub of activity that place is....



The sea lions sure do love it...



I rode my first cable car and actually hung off the side of it. A big deal for me because I am afraid of heights and some of these streets were steep!



This is actually an item that I can check off of my Life's To-Do List. One down - a hundred to go!



Visiting Alcatraz was a huge thrill for all of us. We were really impressed. It's a hard experience to describe. The audio tour (on individual head sets) covers the inside of the cell house during the penitentiary era 1934 - 1963. Former guards and prisoners relay stories of what went on while they were there....



Very eerie at times. This was the 'yard'. I could just envision all of the prisoners out there...they could see San Fran in the distance...



One prisoner reiterated that New Year's Eve was the hardest day to bear. He said that the noise of the parties - talking, laughter, music - would drift across the bay and could be heard from a small barred window in the corner of the jail.



After spending a couple of days in San Francisco we travelled to Carmel to spend the rest of trip with out dear friends Al and Monika (fellow Canucks who are now American citizens) They are the most gracious hosts. This is the view from their livingroom window - not too shabby huh?



They took us out to Santa Cruz one day and we gorged ourselves on fresh seafood on the dock....YUMM-O.



And then we went to a great place called Bahama Billy's for my birthday. (please note, the night previous was a VERY late night and therefore I look as tired as I feel in this pic!) My coconut-cream-pie-birthday-cake came complete with dry ice - how cool!



We were quite surprised on our way home when the pilot told our kids that they could go up and see the cockpit of the plane. (I really didn't think they allowed this anymore?) Well, not only did he let them sit down, he also insisted that hubby and I sit in his seat and then took a pic of all of us. Both pilots were so kind and friendly - the kids just loved the experience. I was petrified that I'd pull a Leslie Neilson and hit some button if I dared moved. Side note - my Dad is a private pilot - he eats, sleeps and breathes planes, and therefore is SO JEALOUS of this!
Sorry Dad! ;)



Well, so concludes my tour of San Fran and Carmel. My grand total for pictures came to 293 and I have promised hubby that I will actually get them developed and not let them sit on the computer like I usually do. Ugh.


14 comments:

Melody said...

Wow, Looks like you had a great time, wish I was there. Great pictures, can't wait to see more.

Adrienne said...

Hi Joy -
I just found your blog yesterday. I'm enjoying what I've had time to read and will return again soon to get better acquainted.

I, too, left my heart in San Francisco. I attended a small Bible College there many years ago - in the heart of the city. I haven't been back for quite a few years and our college has expanded and moved to northern California. Next year we are going to attend a reunion of SF students - on the campus of our college. My best and dearest friend from those days (and her hubby) will join my hubby and I for a San Francisco vacation together. I can't wait. Your pictures have made me SO excited to go back and see 'The City By The Bay' once again.
~Adrienne~

LiLi M. said...

Nice pictures, you guys had a great time! Thanks for sharing. If everything is ok we are going to San Francisco next year, looking forward to it. Your fear of hights must be related with your dutch background. We don't have any heights up here and I'm affraid of it too!

Janet said...

Can't wait to see all the other pics, gul! Looks like a grand time was had by all!!
Hugs,
J.

Alison Gibbs said...

Sounds like you all had a fabulous time
Thanks for shpwing us some fabulous photos
Alison

Simply Me Art said...

One of my Most Favorite Cities, The City by the Bay..Looks like you did all the Fun Activities.I Love Alcatraz too, what a fun tour it is. Lucky you, Jamie

Lu Lu's Fluffy Ruffles said...

I love San Francisco as well!
and you looked great!
smiles,
Sandy

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

What great family & vacation pics, Joy! We love SF too & have been out there 2 times in the last 2 years. Great place and that was my first time there too. I loved it! Looks like lots of fun for your whole family.

Happy belated Birthday!
Rhoda

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, and Carmel is just gorgeous too. My hubby used to live there & showed me around that area too.

Susan said...

I love San Francisco. It's so much fun and easy to get around in. There are so many things to do. I love the sea lions and the Stinking Rose Restaurant and cable cars. I have to go back soon because I didn't get to Alcatraz.

Sophee-a Laroo Bijoux and Sheri too said...

I just came home from Carmel last night....I love it there. Did you visit the store...Diamonds and Rust? I just found it and it is amazing!
Glad you had a great time :0)

Sandy said...

Yes, it's a great place to visit, and sadly, it's only 5 hrs. away from us. We tend to go North to Portland and never S to SF!

Fun time!

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage said...

Joy ~
It looks like you had a glorious time !! I am a California girl in Texas now but I grew up there on the central coast ~ ohhh how I miss the days of driving Highway 1 just for a day away ~
What fun !! Thank you for the pictures, now I know it is time to take a journey home ~
xoxo,
Lori

marylou said...

Joy,
I believe while you were here we were having a cold spell;(
Ain't San Francisco grand! My daughter lives there and I still enjoy riding the cable cars;) We also sail around the bay and often right by Alcatraz, it gives me the hibbie jibbies even from the boat. I want to do the tour but have not grabbed the courage bag yet;) Happy you had a good visit!
Hug Life, Marylou ^-^