Jul 23, 2008

A Fab Score and a New Look!


My little girl Elle and I were about to head home after running a few errands yesterday when I asked her if we should pop into Value Village. Being the easy going girl she is she happily agreed so in we went. At our Value Village, the back wall is lined with plastic bags that contain mismatched job lots - all the 'smalls' they they don't want crowding the shelves. You have to be in a good mood to peruse these babies because

a) most are filled with junk - bad junk
and
b) there are hundreds of them

One caught my eye. I couldn't believe it, it contained a cut glass stopper (which I collect) and it just happened to be a fleur de lis. (which I love) The rest of the bag was filled with junk (big surprise) including two other stoppers which had plastic sleeves on the stopper part. Ugh. I have learned not to drag this kind of stuff home so what I do is go to the cash, take the desired item out of the bag, pay for it - a whopping $2.99 - and then hand them back the bag with the rejects and say "Here, I'd like to donate this back!"

I could see there was some kind of a marking on the bottom of the stopper but my eyes are not as good as they once were. My detective work would have to wait til I got home. There were also etched numbers on it and I thought that was a good sign.

Feeling like I had just robbed the store, I wanted to tun screaming "Start the car! Start the car!" like that crazy lady from Ikea.

Upon closer inspection at home I discovered that the marking said "Baccarat, France."
Oh Value Village, I love you so.

It's a triple threat:

A cut glass/crystal stopper - in a fleur de lis design - made in France by Baccarat.

Divine!



As my husband would say, "It doesn't take much to make you happy, does it?"


~~~~~


O.k. Here's my exciting news...I have been collaborating with the uber-talented Cathy from Avalon Rose for a new look for my website. It was spur of the moment and rather serendipitous actually. The Hope Jar will make it's new debut today at 3 p.m. eastern! Because my shop has become more than just The Hope Jar, I wanted to change the look and feel of the site. Hope you will stop by and let me know what you think of it!




22 comments:

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Can't wait to see the "unveiling" at 4PM!! I'll set my alarm clock! :)

LiLi M. said...

I'll try to come back later, but having the kids at home (+ extra kid staying with us) I'm not sure about my schedule! Wishing you good luck with your new look anyway!

Jackie said...

Can't wait to see your new look! I love the "stopper story" - it was meant to be yours!!

RoxyKitty said...

I was going through your page and really enjoyed it. I thought that you might be a great candidate for a program i'm working on

I'm contacting you because I work for a word of mouth marketing company based in Toronto. For the program that I am currently working on I'm looking for women that are influential and have blogs like yourself with hopes that you'd be willing to participate in a short survey about our beauty/hygiene products. If you qualify you would be sent some free products for you to try out and review.

The survey doesn't take much of your time and id love to get a chance to connect with you and get your valuable feedback!

Please feel free to email me back at cynthia@matchstick.ca and you can let me know if your interested and how best to further contact you.

Thanks in advance,

Cynthia
Matchstick

Kim's Treasures said...

What a great story and what a great find! Don't you love it when you find the unexpected!?!
Have a great day!
Kim

Tricia said...

Its gorgeous! What a find!

Leah C said...

Lucky you...that's a great find! Can't wait to see the new look for your shop:)

Shabbyfufu said...

How lucky was that Joy! Off to see your new website~XO~ Janet

*The Beautiful Life* said...

WHOO HOO!!!!!! The new site design is simply GORGEOUS! So elegant -- just like you and the things you sell!! Congratulations!

It all looks so beautiful and very easy to navigate -- well done!

=Ruth

Attic Rat said...

I had the same feeling as I left a junk store I found in Oklahoma. Wanted to drive off fast before the owner had second thoughts. LOL

Teresa

Tracie~MPMaison said...

Hi Joy,
What a find! I would have been singing with glee as well getting my hands on that Baccarat piece!

I'm off to take a look at your new website design - Cathy's designs are beautiful.
~Tracie
My Petite Maison

Denise said...

You got lucky! Good eye! It is gorgeous. Can't wait to see your new look.......I know it will be gorgeous!

Denise said...

Love your new look!! Never mind in the last post...LOL! I'm a day late and a dollar short..

Janet said...

New site is *gorgeous*, gul-- just like you!

Rescued For You said...

I've loved perusing your blog! You'll see me often! What a nice score you stumbled upon!! How could you contain the squeals that I'm sure were boiling out??? haha
Smiles,
Lorie

Robolady said...

I love the new look of your store. Very easy to navigate, simple and beautiful.
Margo

View my blog at:
http://robolady.blogspot.com/

Among the Hedgerows said...

What a fabulous find! And I *love* your new look on your website.
xo,
Lynda

Lee W. said...

oh you lucky girl!

the wreath witch said...

are you my unknown long lost sister ??? I have done the same thing and my hubby has said that exact same thing when I was so happy with my treasured find. of course my coy reply to him was I'm thrilled over you. great find BTW.

Stacy's Shabby Shoppe said...

Joy ~

I just LOVE Value Village when I go back home. When I talk to my Mom and she says she went to "2v's" today, I know what she means! LOL! ~Stacy~

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Great find!!!! I love the new website look, absolutely wonderful, it really shows that Cathy is a true professional, and together the two of you made a gorgeous site.:)
xo Lidy

disa said...

A片下載,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,情色,色情網站,色情遊戲,色情小說,情色文學,色情,aio交友愛情館,色情影片,臺灣情色網,寄情築園小遊戲,情色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網,情色視訊,愛情小說,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情趣用品,情趣,色情漫畫,情色網,情色a片,情色遊戲,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人交友網,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片,成人漫畫,成人文學,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風