Jul 17, 2008

Perfection is Over Rated


The beautiful and talented
Linda from Restyled Home had this brilliant idea of hosting a "Perfectly Imperfect Week"... a chance for bloggers to show off our imperfect finds and what we do with them. Well, I am all over that one girls! ...


Imperfection is my middle name!


Take for instance these old costume pearls strands. I bought a whole lot of these at the flea market last summer. I sold some on my site but resisted selling any more because they were losing their lustre and were slightly imperfect. But imperfection = charm to me so I decided to display them on this old rack. I have to say they always get comments from visitors - some think I'm crazy and some think it's neat.



I couldn't resist transforming this old clock into "A Place in Time." Like I said before, each clock is different and presents its' own difficulties when taken apart. This one was nasty! As you can see, the frame would not sit back into the face so I whacked it with a hammer a couple of times. Imperfection indeed.



After a cleaning jag in my kitchen yesterday I pulled these old silver forks out of hiding. I hesitate using them because they are tarnished and I don't think they can be revived. I sure do love the look of them though...their imperfections only add to their character.



Remember this beauty I picked up at Sally Ann a few months ago? I did nothing to it. I hung it as-is and feel very protective of it. I just love that it wasn't thrown to the trash and even with it's perfections can go on to give pleasure.



Yard sale finds from last summer...everything in this box was slightly imperfect but after I arranged them all, I thought how lovely it all 'jived' together. The juxtaposition somehow worked.



There are so many woman out there who are making their own brand of antiques now. Not content to go into an antique store and spends oodles of money, they are re-purposing old cast-offs and relics and in doing so, creating a new antique - a 're-tique' if you will. The beauty of this woman is the fact that she can see past the imperfection and turn that over-looked cast-off into a treasured heirloom.


Now, that's my idea of perfection!




15 comments:

Victorian Lady said...

Looks PERFECT to me! :) Thank you for the eye candy!

Mere

Jackie said...

Your imperfections look pretty perfect to me! I prefer well loved and well worn to things that look brand new and I think some of my friends think I'm crazy, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!

vintage sue of VRS said...

This is SOOOOO my idea of perfection. When I get time, I'll scour my home too. Now I've got to check out her original post!!! XOX

Myrna said...

It's so fun to peruse your blog! Love your 'look'!!

GABRIELA DELWORTH said...

Hello,

This clock is amazing!

~ Gabriela ~

Kim's Treasures said...

Perfectly imperfection! (If that makes any sense). I love the imperfections!
Have a great day!
Kim

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Your "closing comments" were so wonderful (so were all the pics!) and I couldn't agree more!

The thing I find most UN-inspiring is to go into a home/room that is obviously "put together" -- totally matched and perfect. Its as though you're looking into vacant eyes...no soul.

Hooray for, how did you put it? 'Re-tiques'!

Great post, Joy!! :)

TheParisApartment said...

oh you are SO creative! I love the pearls, that's a great shot. I think my fave is the pansies though, there's something so sweet about them that makes them timeless. I forgive all these beauties their flaws, may we look as good at their age, especially after being wacked with a hammer!!! xo c

Robolady said...

I love this post, and your box-o-junk is adorable. i picked up a rack like the one your pearls are on, yesterday. Now I know what to do with it:)
Thanks for a great post.
Margo

restyled home said...

Everything you do turns to gold...you impress me every time I visit!!

Thanks for participating!!
Linda

FrenchGardenHouse said...

That IS perfect! Joy, so are you:)
xo Lidy

Rhondamum said...

I love the clock and your pics are absolute perfection! Looks like a picture from a magazine! Yum!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

How true, imperfections just make a piece have more interest.

Lee W. said...

I'm loving the box of junk. It calls me too- I think I've developed a metal fetish. I buy the weirdest stuff.

TheEccentricLady said...

I just came across your blog and just love the imperfectness of everything! I'm glad I'm not alone in loving the imperfections of things.