Jul 10, 2008

Saturday's Yard Sale Steal, I Mean Deal....


Last Saturday's yard sales were turning out to be a lunchbag-let down. Until I found this baby...



I spotted it through all of the clutter, sitting on a low-rise porch off the driveway in plain view. I pointed towards it and asked a rather leading question-

"The clam shell?......"

waiting for the obligatory -

"It's not for sale!"

response.



Instead what I got was a wonderful -

"Honey, you can have it for twenty bucks if you can move it off of there."

I was dumbfounded. Until I walked over and tried to budge it. It wouldn't move, not even a little bit.


Now this is where I tell you that I actually left that yard sale without buying it.


But wait! There is a method to my madness....


You see, I knew only hubby could help me with this one, I needed his strength to get that baby from her porch to mine. But I thought it would be better to make sure he liked it before I purchased it. What restraint on my part! Anyway, hubby did like it too and it actually took him and another strong brute to lift it into the truck - where it is still sitting until I make up my mind where exactly I want it to go. I am famous for moving things around but this clam shell is way too heavy for nonsense like that. It probably weighs close to 400 pounds!


It's missing it's pedestal but I think I may just lay it in the garden somewhere. The hole that you see is the place a pump would fit in so we could turn it back into the fountain that it was. Just not sure yet.



So Saturday's yard sales didn't turn out to be a bust afterall. Hubby is always amazed at the treasures I unearth. My favorite part of a Saturday has to be the look on his face whenever he sees what I have dragged home. :)



15 comments:

Sugar Bear said...

Oh wow! It looks quite heavy just from the photos. Great find and three cheers to hubby for being so agreeable!
Karla

Susan said...

Great find! And great husband to help lug it home.

restyled home said...

Have I told you lately that I love everything you buy and create??!! I could but one of everything in your shop...

Linda

Kathy said...

I love it!!! It's hard to tell from the photo how big it is...just curious! What a great find!

Barb said...

That looks very heavy. Yay to hubby for helping with it. You got a great deal!

hugs,
Barb

Melody said...

Love this, just drive it on over here.

Beth Leintz said...

That reminds me of a time I was at an auction and bought a cement pedestal----which, by the way, would have looked nice under your bird bath---and I went to move it and it would not budge, and no one was interested in helping. I finally rolled it down the street to my car, and somehow propped it to shove it into the trunk, Oh the things we do for our finds!

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Oh what a find!! You lucky girl, you! I want to go to garage sales up there!! Nothing good like that down here in Florida! :)

BumbleVee said...

sounds like it's made of the same stuff as my small bird bath.....not clue what that is exactly, but it took two brutes to lift that thing too. What a shocker trying to even budge it myself...!

Simply Me Art said...

just beautiful Joy, It will make a Gorgeous Fountaing. I would have done the same thing. A few years back I came home and got my husband to help me schlep two very old Wagon wheels I got at a garage sale for $2. He of course carried them a block home and they are sooo heavy. You have a Great husband to do that too. Jamie

Robolady said...

What a great junking story. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Husbands (and their friends)can come in handy sometimes.
BTW, did you get my online order?

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I've gotten in trouble buying heavy things without using my common sense, good for you to have your husband look at it and help you! Aren't you glad it worked out, wow, it is cool, jus tthe right amount of moss on it too.

Artistic Chicas said...

This is the best part about our hobby...the find!
I can just imagine the possibilities you will come up with this piece....maybe some blue glass marbles (for the ocean) underneath, since it's too heavy to move around?
My last great find came when driving thru Waco, Tx. I spotted an old piano off the Hwy, looked at the baby and took the next exit. As you can imagine, a piano is a bit hard to load up...so I took my screwdriver and hammer and dismantled as much as I could. Ivory keys, legs, carved front...I wasn't going to leave for the dump.

Sandy Michelle said...

I know that face that the husband makes -all too well! What a great, heavy find!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Now that is funny! I hope he got an extra kiss for his efforts.