Jul 18, 2008

To Paris, With Love


Junk. It loves me. I love it. So much so that it moves me. I was just sitting here at my (messy) desk listening to "When I Ruled the World" from Coldplay for maybe the, umm, 7th time in a row. My camera was beside me and I started moving some of the items on my desk. The lighting is poor because it's raining cats dogs and cows here but these items were directing me what to do...

The small brown non-descript book I picked up at a yard sale for 25 cents a while back. It has been patiently sitting beside my fax machine, feeling out of place. Published in 1864 I couldn't leave it there. Plus, I felt sorry for the yard sale lady. Her 87 year old father had just moved in with her and let's just say things were off to a rocky start. (that start including her selling off all of his old things!)

A stack of old postcards sat to my right. Fresh from an ebay auction win, I hadn't even really looked through them. My right hand grabbed the stack and the Eiffel Tower jumped out.

The 'art deco' metal X and O also came from ebay (ebay, can you cut me a deal here?) Hundreds of these metal letters are sitting in an old box beside my computer monitor. Inspiration hasn't hit me yet for these. The X and the O wanted to come out though.

Finally, an old tape measure that sits on my desk (to measure my patience level) wanted in on the action.

Poof!

A photograph was born.


When junk calls, I listen. Let your junk guide you! You just never know where it will take you...


6 comments:

Jackie said...

Love the picture - it all looks like it belongs together, so I guess all those pieces were speaking to you! Very cool!

Rhondamum said...

I am obsessed with the Eiffel tower and all things french, so naturally I love this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Your blog is fantastic! Definitely a new fav!

Rhonda...

Aunt Mimi's Creations! said...

I love your picture as well as your blog! Junk is great and when it is old items it is even better.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

My desk top photo would be bills.

cityfarmer said...

I have a mantra today~~~~ with a pounding head cold I find such comfort here...sigh...sniff...sneeze

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Funny! (But true!)
And I thought I was the only one whose possessions spoke to me!
One time one of my sisters asked me for some help in figuring out furnitue placement in her new home. I wrote her this LONG email detailing some ideas, etc., then concluded by sayings something like this (which made perfect sense to me) "In the end, you really need to just live there a while with you things and your furniture -- then they'll let you know where they want to/need to be. Its really the best way..."
She wrote me back with like one line: "YOUR FURNITURE SPEAKS TO YOU????"
Well, I guess not everyone "gets it" but I'm so glad I haven't just been hearing voices all these years as I felt my things "wanted" to be moved around! :)
Great, great pics!
-Ruth