Jul 7, 2008

Vintage Finds & Shades of Brown


My cousin and his family are visiting and I have been picking his brain regarding taking good photos. (he's a fab photographer) Today was fun as I put some of his great advice to use. I don't know about you but I learn much better "in person" than just reading from a manual. Here are some pics I took today...


These are vintage horse racing identification numbers that I just listed on my site.


I have such a thing for numbers!



Seeing that the new color for Shades of Inspiration on Flickr is brown, I thought I'd take some pics for that...this is a close-up of some vintage luggage that I have on display...



These are wonderful old thread packets that my mother picked up for me. Great eye Mom!



And this is my all time fav find - an antique ledger filled to the brim with old prescriptions....is it wrong that I love it so much?



And finally, some salvaged clock faces. I just love these. Making my "Place in Time" clock frames can be fiddly and sometimes very time consuming so salvaging these out of the clocks is my reward!




That's it for me...hope your week is off to a great start! :)




17 comments:

Shabbyfufu said...

Beautiful finds! Your photos always look wonderful to me:-)

Brenda Kula said...

Oh, my heart went pitter-patter for those thread packets! I love vintage sewing memorabilia!
Brenda

Lu Lu's Fluffy Ruffles said...

hmmm the color inspiration is brown?? not sure that I have a single brown photo.
thanks for the heads up ill go check my stash of photographs I may need to broaden my horizons when it comes to my photograpy.
smiles,
Sandy

Outstanding Stranger said...

Great GOODIES Joy...aren't you even gonna give us a hint as to the pointers on taking pictures? Diane Short version?

Beth Leintz said...

I've always thought you had great pictures- but I love todays. The shades of brown thread, closeup ledger pages & clock faces are the kind of thing I can stare at forever.

LiLi M. said...

Your pictures are just gorgeous again.
I have these paper 'spools' with mending threat in a dutch version 'scheepjeswol'. Would you like to trade?
Have a nice day!

Sherri said...

I am LOVING those photos!! Gorgeous - and that Antique Ledger with old Prescriptions? Oh my gosh what a wonderful find...I would look at it every day if it were mine. I also love the thread packets, vintage horse racing numbers, vintage luggage - oh wait! I just love it ALL!
what an awsome post :) xoxo Sher

Robolady said...

Joy, I just ordered something from you. Can't wait.
Love the brown, and the horse racing tags too.
Margo

KayEllen said...

Looks great Joy!!!
You are very creative:)I really like the numbers you found for the online store.
Very Cool!

Take Care,
kayellen

colbycottage said...

Hi Joy, wonderful photos. I am an awful photographer and refuse to take the "time" to learn to do better. Hopefully someday there will be hope for me.I love the brown thread packets.Have a great week! Kath

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I agree, your photos are always good- so is your stuff.

Artistic Chicas said...

Brown doesn't seem so ordinary...when you put together a wonderful collection like yours...found the suitcase perfect for any display,
and never really knew about the Number tags. I'm always learning something new, thanks for sharing!
Denise

Joy at Cupids Charm said...

I love the number tags! I've never seen anything like those. I also LOVED the old ledger. I can see way you would cherish that! Beautiful pictures. ~ xo ~ Joy

Barb said...

Your pictures are truly amazing. Great job! I can't wait to browse a bit.

hugs,
Barb

Donna Layton said...

Loving that ledger so much lets me know how normal you are. My kind of normal:)

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Joy, I don't know what all your cousin told you, but those pictures (the thread, the book, the clock faces...) are really,really something. Great job!!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Good grief, I have to visit you more often, LOVED those horse numbers. ack. I'll try to shop more often.
xo Lidy