Aug 31, 2008

You Know Summer's Over When...



The flowers boxes you so lovingly tended since May are now filled with dead and brittle weeds.

A bowl of hot soup is actually enticing.

The kids have become so lazy they seem glued to the couch.

The allergens in the air are so bad they somehow seep right through closed doors and windows.

The sight of barbequed steak actually makes you a little nauseaus. (yes, we overdid it here this summer)

Mowing the lawn is not so much fun anymore.

You can finally turn off the central air and save yourself some bucks!

You're dreaming of wearing your oh-so-fab brown leather boots.

With that oh-so-fab brown leather jacket. (sorry Ruth!)

And that oh-so-fab brown scarf!

Your flip flops are disfigured, dirty and worn. (yet you still wear them)

You dream of pot roasts and mashed potatoes.

You cringe at the thought of eating another ice cream cone.

The stores are quiet again.

And finally, the #1 clue that summer is really over ---

Parents everywhere have smiles on their faces!


Hope you all have a lovely last long weekend of summer!





15 comments:

Natasha Burns said...

I love your list Joy! You can tell we live on opposite sides of the world as I just did a post about shaking off the winter blues, LOL!
Most of the things on your list, I am now looking forward to - ice cream, flip flops, as much as I love my boots and leather jacket, actually getting outside without wearing three layers of clothes! I'll give the BBQ steaks a miss though, lol! xo

TamboinMO said...

Joy,
Crack me up! I was just talking last night to our friend and he asked if I was ready for fall.
I LOVE FALL!! All the extra clothes you can accessorize with....coats, jackets, scarves.
He said his clients were talking about being excited to wear boots again.
Also at the Farmer's Market I was asking one of the farm raised meat vendors if they had any pot roast yet.....nope not yet!
You're totally making me laugh this morning!

Sugar Bear said...

Now I'm depressed! I think I need to move south!
Karla

a said...

I'm ready for fall! this post is how I feel only written better then I ever could! I've got a cool new fall coat and scarf I'm wanting to wear! xo

Karin said...

Great List!! Karin@creativechaos!

Cali Homemaker said...

love the list. too cute and funny!

Paul said...

that was a cool post...

though I'm the exception...


I have been officially out of school for 22 years.... and I still get a knot in my stomache when labour day rolls around....

weird huh!

*The Beautiful Life* said...

SO excited about "Fall" coming!! (I put Fall in quotes because we may get out of the 90-degree range in the next couple of months here in Florida). So, I'm with you lucky people in spirit. I will dutifully put out my fake pumpkins (real ones would go bad in the heat) and straw bales and pretend its crisp and that I can smell the burning of firepalces in the air. :)
Be sure and post lots of pics of how Fall progresses in your region up there! I would be neat to see the coming of the season "documented" in pictures! :)
Thanks for such great posts, Joy!

LiLi M. said...

We don't have such hot summers, as you probably know, so most people aren't on the outlook for fall. But that of the parents faces is right though ;-).

Hahaha! you cracked me up!

Lori said...

hee hee, great list Joy:) i do love the fall, it's the season after i could do without...i am not a huge fan of snow...i like to look at it, but driving in it gives me the shivers...

Denise said...

I just gave you an award on my blog. :)

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cherry's Jubilee said...

Hi Joy! Ok so you can craft, decorate, AND, Your funny.....I am sooo not worthy! Loved your list...school starts tomorrow for us...I am kinda sad...I only have one kiddo and I will miss his company. Thanks for your lovely comments! Happy Labor Day, cherry

Lu Lu's Fluffy Ruffles said...

I love the fall my favorite time of year next to spring. I dont even mind winter so much but then Im not the one shoveling the snow...hee hee...
smiles,
Sandy

Sandy Michelle said...

Happy Fall Joy! I can't wait to hear your exciting news! We have to go antiquing one day together!!!

Sand