Dec 6, 2008

My Christmas Journal



With Christmas fast approaching I thought I would share one of my favorite things to do on Boxing Day. (the day after Christmas for us here in Canada) I get out my Christmas Journal and write. I write about Christmas Eve, Christmas morning and Christmas day. I have a video camera but I have to admit I am not big on it. Invariably, you tape everything that happens and you are not in the moment because you're behind the camera and then when you sit down and watch your home video it drags on and on forever! (learning to edit would be a good thing for me)

I have to admit I am not a big diary or journal writer either - it's not something I do every day like Oprah does. But on Boxing Day I take the time to recall the magical past few days. I think it's easier for my children to just pick up the book and leaf through it. What did they get for Christmas in 1999? Oh yeah, a Pokeman Gameboy for Jack and a doll stroller for Ellie. What was the funniest moment on Christmas Eve 2000? When Ellie was caught in my parent's bathroom applying the reddest lipstick I have ever seen, all over her lips - and I mean all over! (she was almost 3 years old at the time)

I like to think of this journal as a treasured family heirloom. One they don't have to cue up, or sit through hours and hours of watching shoddy camera work. :) It's all there in black and white.

5 comments:

bec4 said...

First off--I was so happy to hear that you were able to talk to Colin on the phone--yeah!

I have the exact same journal that I used to keep at Christmas--I would write what I baked and what I bought and things we did they we liked and things we wanted to try for the next year. i haven't done it for about 5 years--maybe I need to get it out again.

Also--for all of us yankies here, what exactly is boxing day? Ü

RobinfromCA said...

I'm so glad to hear how well Colin is doing! I love Moggit! And I love the idea of recording Christmas the day after. I have tried to be a faithful journal keeper, and wish I was, but your idea is a great one!

Robin
http://weareflyingnow.blogspot.com

Caroline said...

This is a spectacular idea! I would add a family photo at the beginning of each entry, to mark our growth together.

Leah C said...

What a wonderful way to remember Christmases past!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great Idea. I am with you on the video camera thing. I never liked it when someone pointed one in my direction.