Feb 15, 2009

The Joy{s} of ... Going on Holiday!


It's that time of year again...when we take off for some fun in the sun. For the past several years we have been travelling with family and I tell ya, that's the way to do it. It is so nice to be surrounded by the ones you love on holiday.



Even though my Dad suffered a stroke last October and is still a bit weak, he was bound and determined to get out of the cold. So, Mom and Dad booked a vacay and we followed suit. For the past few years we have travelled like this due to weddings and we always have a blast. A lot of our extended familiy members also join us. Here are my parents a few years ago waiting for a flight...{the couple that reads together stays together - they will be married 50 years this July!}



You meet the nicest people on holiday! We met Betty and Dalmer on our first family trip 9 years ago in the Dominican. They are from Sakatchewan and are so much fun! We've kept in touch over the years knew we would someday meet up again.



This is how small my kiddies were on that first trip - Ellie was just 2! They have always been fabulous to travel with, we are lucky. Were they not sweet? :) I could eat them up!



Finally we were reunited with Betty and Dalmer 9 years later for my brother's wedding in Punta Cana in 2007. We had an absolute blast with them and they fit right in!



This is the whole crew that travelled with us that year....



One year later my Uncle got married in Puerto Plata and we all joined in for that too... (Ellie's 4th kick at the can for being a flower girl)



Betty and Dalmer joined us again for that - they really are like family now...



There's always such fun to be had on holidays...this is hubby and Jack having the time of their lives!



And of course a couple of cold ones never hurt, right?



And a night out alone with hubby is always fun - with all those built-in babysitters, why not?! I even got lucky that night. {head out of the gutter - I won $300 at the black jack table - lol}



People always ask me if I am scared for taking the kids out of school for two weeks...I say they will learn more in a different country than they ever would sitting at their desk. But, we do bring homework as evidenced below. This is Ellie and hubby getting down to the nastiness of math. Doesn't she look thrilled? ;)



So, we are off early next week for another adventure. I promise to send lots of sunshine your way!



Hola amigos!


19 comments:

cityfarmer said...

NOW THIS IS A FAMILY OUTING.

I AM TRYING TO FULLFILL GOD'S COMMAND TO NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR....

LiLi M. said...

Have a great holiday! With the whole bunch of course. Did you know that we aren't allowed to take our children for a holiday even for one or two days (extra) without permission? There is a special department in the Ministery of education that controls airports. I think it really went too far here. I think you are right that children learn so much travelling. Well not our kids :-(
Have fun!

Sally Pepper said...

Have fun!

Jennifer said...

Wow..sounds wonderful. Enjoy!

Sandy said...

I'm jealous! Have a wonderful time!

bec4 said...

Oh--How I wish I was off to somewhere tropical! Have a wonderful time and have one of those Coronas for me!

Heather ~Pretty Petals said...

Have a great vacation Joy! After the year you have had your family deserves a wonderful time together in the sun. Enjoy! xo Heather

*moggit girls said...

I can't believe you're doing this to me-- again!!

What am I going to do without you for TWO WHOLE WEEKS???

Sob!

Jan

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

You've now put me in the mood for a tall glass of something tropical served with a fruit skewer and umbrella. My children are grown and we all look back at those times on holiday with cherished memories. That we wouldn't trade for any school days missed! Your absolutely right, no class room experience can replace what they'll learn hands on.
ENJOY!!!

Sweet Wishes,
Sara

alicew said...

Have fun Joy! It looks like you have had some amazing trips in the past! Enjoy!

RobinfromCA said...

Have a ton of fun! It's pouring rain here so those tropical locals look fab right now! But, you will be so missed in blogland and moggit just won't be the same.

Robin

Leah C said...

Bon Voyage! Oh how I long for some fun in the sun:)

Bethie - Chic Junque said...

Looks like a total blast! Sun would be great right now! Can't wait for summer!

Felicia said...

Looks like a good time was had by all :)

Shabbyfufu said...

Ohhhh, looks like a fun time Joy. Hope you are having a great vacay! ~XO~ Janet

Leigh of said...

sooo jealous! WHat a great time!

Sandy Michelle said...

I just loved looking at the past vacation pix! I hope you had a great vacation and are relaxed. You definitely deserve it after what you went through last year!

Sandy xox

House movers Melbourne said...

i so love holliday/s its the only day i could rest and see a movie

Corporate Housing said...

Happy a great holiday everyone!